Weekdays: Wednesdays 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: As scheduled
Sundays 8:00 a.m. or by appointment (call the admin center office)
St. Joseph was founded in 1903. Before the parish was established, local Catholics traveled to Coal Center to attend Mass. In 1903, the pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas in Coal Center decided to build a mission church in Roscoe. Land was purchased for the church and construction began in 1903. On January 31, 1904, the church was dedicated. The parish remained a mission of St. Thomas Aquinas until January 17, 1909 when a resident pastor was assigned to the parish.
The parish remained active for over a century. However, beginning in the 21st century, the reduction of population in the area and the number of priests in the diocese led to a re-examination of the number of parishes in the area. A study begun in 2015 considered the future of parish life in Washington County. As a result of the study, the decision was made to merge St. Joseph with four other parishes to form the new St. Katharine Drexel Parish. This merger took place on January 8, 2017. Although St. Joseph Church was not chosen to be the new parish church, the building was retained and will be used for occasional worship.
Sunday: 10:00am; During the school year there will also be a 5:00pm Sunday Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas, celebrated by the chaplain of the students at CalU. Anyone can attend this Mass.
Weekdays: Wednesdays 9:00 am
Holy Days: As scheduled
Sunday: 9:40 a.m. or by appointment (call the admin center office)
St. Thomas was founded in 1888 in the town of Coal Center. The origin of the parish can be traced to the development of the coal mining industry in the area. Beginning in 1876, the pastor of St. Peter, Brownsville began making once a month visits to Coal Center to celebrate Mass. For a decade Mass was celebrated either in private homes or in a rented hall. In 1888, the cornerstone for a small frame church was laid and the church was completed shortly afterwards.
In 1902, the parish purchased property in nearby California. In 1956 a combination church and school was built on the California property. The parish retained the old church until 1967 when it was sold. The combination church and school building continued to serve the parish into the next century.
However, it soon became obvious that the area could not support the number of parishes in existence. In 2015, the diocese began a study to determine the best use of existing resources for better ministry, service and evangelization. The study recommended that St. Thomas be merged with four other area parishes. The diocese accepted the recommendation and on January 8, 2017 St. Thomas was formally closed and the new St. Katharine Drexel Parish created. St. Thomas Church remains open, but will only be used for occasional worship.
Sunday 10:00 a.m.
Weekdays: T & Th 10:00 a.m. (Administrative Center Chapel)
Please contact the parish office.
St. John Vianney was established in 1994 as part of the diocese's reorganization and revitalization program. The parish was formed by merging St. Canice, Knoxville; St. George, Allentown; St. Henry, Arlington; and St. Joseph, Mt. Oliver. At first all four churches remained open and served the new parish. As time went by, however, the population of the area continued to decline. In 2004, St. John Vianney parish initiated a pastoral planning committee to study whether the parish needed to keep all its churches open. The committee recommended that the parish only keep one church open. St. George was identified as the church to remain open. On August 7, 2005, the final Mass was celebrated at St. George Church before it was closed for liturgical upgrades. The other three were closed in 2005. The final Mass of St. Joseph was celebrated on August 14, 2005. The final Mass of St. Canice was celebrated on August 21, 2005. The final Mass of St. Henry was celebrated on August 28, 2005. On September 3, 2005, the former St. George Church was rededicated as St. John Vianney Church.
Unfortunately, during the next decade, the territory the parish covered suffered a population loss of 27 percent and parish membership declined 77 percent. This decline coupled with the need for repairs to the church led to the conclusion that the parish was no longer financially sustainable. In August of 2015, the pastor petitioned the bishop to dissolve the parish, which was granted. The final Mass of the parish was celebrated on April 3, 2016 and the church and parish were closed on that day.
T/Th 9:00 am
4:00 pm - 4:45 pm
St. Rose was founded in 1854. The origin of the parish can be traced to the opening of coal mines in Cannelton in 1838. Among the people who came to the area for work were German and Irish Catholics. In 1854, Rev. James Reid, pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul, Beaver, celebrated the first Mass in Cannelton in a private home. For the remainder of the decade, Rev. Reid continued to periodically visit the town and celebrate Mass in private homes.
In 1855, the railroad came to Cannelton. This event accelerated the growth of industry and population in the area. By 1861, the Catholic population grew to the point that a church was needed to accommodate the number of people attending Mass. On October 25, 1861, land was donated for a church and in the next month a rough one room wooden church was built.
In 1862, St. Rose became a mission of St. Mary, New Castle. In 1864, responsibility for St. Rose was transferred to St. Joseph, New Brighton. The church, which had originally been considered only a temporary expedient, was soon inadequate to serve the growing congregation. On August 2, 1871, the Harmony Society of Economy donated land for a new church. The church was rapidly built and dedicated on October 22, 1871. The original church was renovated and converted into a school. However, shortly afterwards the mines began closing and families began moving out. The school was closed in 1875 but the building was later used for catechism classes until 1900 when it was torn down. Two years later, the first resident pastor was assigned to St. Rose. The pastor also had responsibility for St. Teresa, Koppel (then located in Hoytdale but called Clinton at that time).
St. Rose had a resident pastor until 1895 when St. Agatha, Ellwood City was founded. In that year, St. Rose became a mission of St. Agatha. In 1898, St Rose became a mission church of St. Mary, East Palestine, Ohio. This arrangement came about with the agreement of the bishops of Pittsburgh and Cleveland. This situation continued until 1912 when St. Rose again was assigned a resident pastor.
This church served the congregation well into the twentieth century. In 1959, a building fund for a new church was started. Land was donated for the church about two miles away from Cannelton. Ground for the new church was broken on April 28, 1963 and the completed church was dedicated on June 21, 1964. The church was renovated in 1984 including replacement of the roof and the addition of a new steeple.
By the beginning of the 21st century, a drop in population and the decrease in priests in the diocese led to a study to determine if the parish should remain independent. After a five year study, the decision was made to merge St. Rose of Lima with three other parishes -- Divine Mercy and St. Philomena in Beaver Falls and Christ the Divine Teacher in Chippewa Twp. -- into a new parish. On July 15, 2013, the new parish, St. Monica, was formed. St. Rose of Lima Church remained open to serve the new parish until a new church could be built.
Weekdays: M/TH 9:00 a.m.
Saturdays before mass
St. Agnes was established in 1960. However, the origin of the parish can be traced back to December of 1929, when the pastor of Ss. Mary and Ann, Marianna celebrated the first Mass in the town on December 4, 1929. Mass was celebrated in the J & L Dressing Station. The new mission continued to use commercial space until 1939, when the parish purchased a church building.
In 1960, St. Agnes became an independent parish with the appointment of a resident pastor. In 1994, the two missions located in Daisytown, St. Mary and Assumption, were suppressed and became part of St. Agnes parish. Assumption Church was closed while St. Mary remains open. By this time, however, St. Agnes Church was in poor condition. The church was closed in September of 1995 and was razed shortly afterwards. After the church was razed, the parish used a converted movie theater and roller skating rink as a temporary church. Ground was broken for a new church on October 14, 2001, and the new St. Agnes Church was dedicated on May 31, 2003. Four years later, on September 8, 2007, the parish closed St. Mary Church.
The trend in consolidation continued afterwards. In 2015, the diocese conducted a study to determine the future of parish life in the area. The study led to a recommendation in 2016 that St. Agnes parish merge with four other area parishes. The recommendation was accepted and on January 8, 2017, St. Agnes Parish became part of the new St. Katharine Drexel Parish.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m.
Weekdays: Tuesday 9:00 a.m
St. Basil, 11:00 a.m.-Noon
St. Norbert was established on December 2, 1914. The origin of the parish can be traced back to a meeting of Catholics in the Fairhaven area on November 27, 1913, to plan to form a new parish. Before this, local residents had to travel to St. Anne in Castle Shannon, St. Wendelin in Carrick or Resurrection in Brookline to attend Mass. Fund raising for a new church was begun and the bishop was petitioned for a new parish, which was granted.
For the first year of the parish's existence, Mass was celebrated in a private home. In April of 1916, the parish purchased a farm with a barn and house. The house served as the parish house and the barn was converted to a temporary church. On July 18, 1916, ground was broken for a new combined church and school building. The cornerstone of the building was laid on July 15, 1917. By Christmas, enough work had been completed on the basement to enable the parish to celebrate the first Mass in the building. The basement church was dedicated on July 21, 1918. Work on the school portion of the building began in 1924 and the completed building was dedicated on September 6, 1925.
This church served the parish for thirty years. However, the congregation eventually outgrew the existing facilities. Ground for a new church was broken on June 19, 1955, and the cornerstone was laid on June 2, 1957. The completed building was dedicated on March 22, 1958.
W 7:00 pm
F 9:00 am
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
8:00 am - 9:00 am
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
8:00 am - 9:00 am
Christ the Divine Teacher was established on June 2, 1969. The first Mass of the parish was celebrated in St. Mary Cemetery Chapel on June 7, 1969. Until the church was built, Mass was celebrated in a local restaurant. Ground for the church was broken on July 26, 1970. The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on March 27, 1971, and the building was dedicated on May 31, 1971. Additional work in the church was done in 1974, including the installation of the pews. The church continues to serve the congregation.
However by the beginning of the 21st century it became obvious that the parish could no longer exist as an independent parish due to a drop of population in the area and a decrease in the number of priests in the diocese. After a five year study, it was decided to merge Christ the Divine Teacher with three other parishes -- Divine Mercy and St Philomena in Beaver Falls and St. Rose of Lima in Darlington -- to form the new St. Monica Parish. The merger took place on July 15, 2013. Christ the Divine Teacher church remained opened to serve the new parish until a new church can be built.