Allegheny Valley

-A A +A

Holy Martyrs

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M/W/F 8:00 a.m.

Confessions: 

Saturday: 3:15 – 3:45 p.m.

Parish ID: 
18201
Open Date: 
1992
Neighborhoods Served: 
Tarentum
Rev. Thomas L. Gillespie, MD, Pastor
Parish
Parish History: 

Holy Martyrs was established in 1992 as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization process.  It was formed by merging the two parishes in Tarentum, St. Clement and Sacred Heart-St. Peter.  Both churches initially remained open as part of the new parish.  However, after the turn of the century, the parish decided it no longer had the resources to support two churches.  In 2006, St. Clement church was sold and Sacred Heart-St. Peter church was renamed Holy Martyrs Church.

Sacred Heart-St. Peter Church, 2002
Interior of Sacred Heart-St. Peter, 2002
St. Clement Church, 2002
Interior of St. Clement, 2002

Saint Juan Diego

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saint John Cantius

Sunday: 8:30 a.m.; 11:00 a.m. Korean Catholic Community

Madonna of Jerusalem

Saturday Vigil: 4:00, 6:00 p.m.

Weekdays: M/W/Th/F 7:30 a.m;  T 6:30 p.m.

Saint Mary

Sunday: 10:30 a.m.

Confessions: 

Madonna of Jerusalem

Tuesday 6:00 - 6:20 p.m.; Saturday: 3:00 - 3:30 p.m.

Parish ID: 
28801
Open Date: 
2009
Neighborhoods Served: 
Sharpsburg
Rev. Michael W. Decewicz, MDiv, Pastor
Deacon Robert F. Wertz Jr., Permanent Deacon
Parish
Parish History: 

St. Mary parish was established in 1994 as a territorial parish.  The origin of the parish can be traced to 1852, when St. Mary was founded as a German parish.  In 1994 the German parish was suppressed and the parish was reborn as a territorial parish.

This parish, though, was doomed to a short existence.  As the twenty-first century began, it became obvious that Sharpsburg could no longer support three independent parishes.  On March 1, 2009, St. Mary merged with Madonna of Jerusalem and St. John Cantius parishes to form the new St. Juan Diego Parish.  St. Mary Church remains open and continues to serve the new parish.

Saint Pio of Pietrelcina, Blawnox/Harmar

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saint Edward, Blawnox

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.; Sunday: 8:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M/F/Sat. 9:00 a.m.; Th 6:30 p.m.

Holy Days: See Bulletin

Saint Francis of Assisi, Harmar

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 9:30 a.m.; 6:30 p.m.

Weekdays: T/8:00 a.m.; W 6:30 p.m.

 

Confessions: 

Saint Edward, Blawnox

Saturday: 9:30 a.m.

Saint Francis of Assisi, Harmar

Wednesday: 7:00 p.m.

 

Parish ID: 
49301
Open Date: 
2011
Neighborhoods Served: 
Blawnox
Neighborhoods Served: 
Harmar
Rev. Joseph F. Keenan, Pastor
Saint Pio of Pietrelcina (Blawnox / Harmar)

Saint Victor

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon (May-Labor Day);

8:00, 10:45 a.m.; 12:15 p.m. (Labor Day-Apr.)

Weekdays: M-F 8:00 a.m.

Confessions: 

Saturday: 3:30 p.m.

Parish ID: 
58001
Open Date: 
1919
Neighborhoods Served: 
Bairdford
Rev. Charles W. Speicher, Ph.D., Pastor
Parish
Parish History: 

St. Victor was established in 1919.  In June of that year the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) organized a mission in Bairdford.  The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. Beginning in the fall of 1919, a priest traveled to Bairdford twice a month to celebrate Mass in either a boarding house or a local public school.  In April of 1922, the school refused to allow Mass in its building.  The parish tried celebrating Mass in an open field, but after one week decided to use private homes.  In June of 1922, the congregation procured a tent and used it for services until September.  After September, the school relented and let the congregation resume use of their building. 

These problems finding a place to celebrate the Mass let to a fund raising effort to build a church.  Money was collected and work began on the church in 1923.  The completed church was dedicated on October 7, 1923.  Beginning in July of 1924, responsibility for St. Victor switched from the MCCD to St. Kilian in Mars.

In November 1947, St. Victor became an independent parish by the appointment of a resident pastor.  In 1951, land was purchased for a new church.  On September 9, 1951, ground was broken for a basement church.  The cornerstone was laid on November 11, 1951.  The last Mass in the original church was celebrated on September 15, 1952 and the new church was dedicated on September 21, 1952. 

On November 22, 1970, ground was broken for the superstructure of the church building.  The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on June 27, 1971, and the building was dedicated on December 12, 1971.  The basement church was converted to classrooms for the CCD program.  The church was later renovated in 1985.

Original St. Victor Church, 1931
St. Victor Church, 2002
Interior of St. Victor, 2002

Transfiguration, Russellton

Transfiguration, Russellton
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 PM

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 AM

Weekdays: T-Sat. 8:00 AM

Holy Days: 4:00 PM (vigil), 8:00 AM , 7:00PM

Confessions: 

Saturday: 12:00 Noon & by appoinment

Parish ID: 
56801
Open Date: 
1914
Neighborhoods Served: 
Russellton
Rev. James P. Holland, Pastor
Diane Miller, Parish Financial Secretary
Mary Jo Mehal, Parish Secretary / Bulletin Editor
MaryEtta Filotei, Director of Education and Spiritual Development
Judi Damon, Director of Mercy and Service Ministry
Amy Salera, Safe Environment Coordinator
Dawn Pawloski, Director of Music Ministry
Tom Jenkins, Facilities Manager

 Parish Mission Statement

We, the parish family of Transfiguration Roman Catholic Church, Parish

Parish History: 

Transfiguration parish was established in 1914.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the previous year, when the pastor of St. Mary Church, New Kensington began visiting Russellton regularly to celebrate Mass.  Masses were celebrated in either private homes or in commercial buildings.  On April 13, 1914, a church committee petitioned the bishop for permission to build a church.  The bishop did grant permission and the church was completed in 1916.  That same year, a resident pastor was assigned to the parish. 

This church was enlarged in 1935 and 1950.  In 1993 a new entranceway was added.  The church continued to serve the parish until June 15, 2006 when a fire destroyed the church.  The parish converted the school gym into a temporary worship site while they made plans to rebuild the churcvh.  However, due to the declining population of the area, these plans were dropped.  After the diocese decided to close the parish school, the parish made plans to convert the school gym into a permanent church.  Renovation of the school began in 2008 and the new church opened before the end of the year.

Transfiguration Church, 1933
Interior of Transfiguration, 1933
Transfiguration Church, 2001
Interior of Transfiguration, 2001
Interior of the temporary church, 2007
The second Transfiguration Church, 2012
Interior of the second Transfiguration Church, 2012

Saint Scholastica

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.

Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:30 a.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.

Holy Days: 8:30 a.m.; 12:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m.

Confessions: 

Saturday: 9:30 a.m.

Parish ID: 
53201
Open Date: 
1907
Neighborhoods Served: 
Aspinwall
Rev. James R. Torquato, STL, Pastor
Parish
Parish History: 

St. Scholastica was established in 1907.  The origin of the parish can be traced to 1903, when a group of local Catholics sent a petition to the bishop requesting a parish of their own.  Before this time, the Catholic residents of Aspinwall had to travel to Sharpsburg to attend Mass.  In May of 1905, a mission was started by the pastor of St. Joseph, Sharpsburg.  For two years Mass was celebrated in a commercial building.  In 1906, the bishop assigned a committee of three priests to determine if an independent parish for Aspinwall was feasible.  The committee reported favorably in April of 1907 and on June 24, 1907, a resident pastor was assigned to the new parish.

Land was purchased for a church and the cornerstone was laid on September 1907.  The church was dedicated on December 15, 1907.  In 1925, a school was attached to the church building.  This church served the congregation for over 40 years.  In 1948 the parish secured permission to build a new church.  Construction began soon afterwards.  The cornerstone was laid on October 9, 1949, and the completed church was dedicated on June 25, 1950.  The original church was converted to classrooms.  The building was eventually torn down in 1984.

Combined church/school building, 1933
Interior of church, 1933
St. Scholastica Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

Our Lady of Victory

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M/T 12:00 noon; W/F 8:30 a.m.; Th 6:30 p.m.

Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 12 noon

Confessions: 

Saturday: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon or until finished

Parish ID: 
45201
Open Date: 
1944
Neighborhoods Served: 
Harwick
Rev. Alan E. Morris, Pastor
Parish
Parish History: 

Our Lady of Victory was established in 1944.  A meeting of local Catholics in May of that year with the pastor of St. Mary of Czestochowa, New Kensington led to the organization of the parish.  The first Mass was celebrated on July 30, 1944 in an  abandoned school building.  Our Lady of Victory remained a mission of St. Mary until the Diocese of Greensburg was created.  St. Mary became a part of the new diocese.  Our Lady of Victory was then assigned as a mission of St. Alphonsus parish, Springdale.

By 1956, the parish collected enough money to begin work on a new church.  Ground was broken on November 22, 1956, and the completed church was dedicated on December 7, 1957.  In June of 1959, the parish became independent with the assignment of a resident pastor.  In subsequent years, improvements were made to the building including installation of stained glass windows and a new organ in the 1960's and a carillon in the 1970's.  The church was renovated again in 1983.

Our Lady of Victory Church, 2001
Interior of Our Lady of Victory, 2001

Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Most Blessed Sacrament

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 11:00 a.m.; 6:00 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 7:30 a.m.; T 7:50 a.m. (during school year) 
F 9:00 a.m. (during school year)

Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Sunday: 9:30 a.m.

Weekdays: T 7:00 p.m.

Confessions: 

Most Blessed Sacrament

Saturday: 11:00-11:45 a.m.

Parish ID: 
44301
Open Date: 
1992
Neighborhoods Served: 
Natrona Heights
Rev. John B. Lendvai, Administrator
Deacon Patrick G. Wood
Rev. Aaron J. Kriss, MDiv, Parochial Vicar
Parish
Parish History: 

Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament was established in 1992 as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization process.  It was formed by merging Most Blessed Sacrament and Our Lady of Perpetual Help.  Both churches remain open and serves the new parish.

Most Blessed Sacrament Church, 2002
Interior of Most Blessed Sacrament, 2002
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 2002
Interior of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 2002

Saint Joseph, Natrona

Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield
Mass Schedule: 

Saint Ladislaus

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.

Sunday: 10:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:30 a.m.

Confessions: 

Saint Ladislaus

Saturday: 5:30-5:45 p.m.

Parish ID: 
28101
Open Date: 
1992
Neighborhoods Served: 
Natrona
Rev. John B. Lendvai, Administrator
Deacon Patrick G. Wood
Rev. Aaron J. Kriss, MDiv, Parochial Vicar
Parish
Parish History: 

St. Joseph was founded in 1992 as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization process.  The parish was formed by the merger of the three parishes then in Natrona: St. Mathias, St. Ladislaus and St. Joseph.  The new parish retained the name of St. Joseph.  Of the three church buildings, St. Mathias and St. Ladislaus remained open.  St. Joseph Church was closed at the time of merger and was destroyed in a fire on January 30, 2001.  A few years after that, a parish study determined that the parish did not need two churches.  On September 18, 2008 the parish closed St. Mathias Church.

St. Ladislaus Church, 2002
Interior of St. Ladislaus, 2002

Saint Joseph, O'Hara Township

Saint Joseph, O'Hara Township
Mass Schedule: 

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.; Sunday: 9:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M/T/Th/F 9:00 a.m.; W 7:00 p.m.

Confessions: 

Saturday: 3:00-4:00 p.m.; and by appointment

Eucharistic Adoration: 

Wednesday: 3:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.

Parish ID: 
26101
Open Date: 
1845
Neighborhoods Served: 
O'Hara Township
Rev. Thomas R. Miller, M.A.; M.Div.
Suzanne Gilch, M.S.; M.A., Pastoral Associate
Parish
Parish History: 

St. Joseph was founded in 1845 in Sharpsburg.  Little is known of the origins of the parish.  It appears that, beginning in 1843, Sharpsburg was visited monthly from St. Philomena and Mass was celebrated in a private residence.  Before that time, local residents had to travel to Pittsburgh or to Pine Creek to attend Mass.  In 1845, the parish was established.  Work on a small church building began in 1847 and was completed by the end of the year.

In that year, St. Joseph became a mission of St. Mary Assumption, Pine Creek, although the pastor of St. Mary decided to reside in Sharpsburg.  Within two years, a larger brick church was built to replace the original building.  The cornerstone of this second church was laid on June 25, 1848, and the completed church was dedicated on April 29, 1849.

The new parish consisted primarily of Irish and German Catholics, with the latter predominating.  In 1852, the Germans formed their own congregation, St. Mary.  Until St. Mary church was built in 1854, they continued to use St. Joseph Church for services.  In 1863, St. Joseph was assigned a resident pastor.

As the population began growing, the church soon became overcrowded.  In 1873, work began on a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on May 4, 1873, and the church, though not completed, was dedicated on July 19, 1874.  The church was renovated around 1900.

The church suffered major damage in the flood of March 17, 1936.  For four months, Mass had to be celebrated in the school while the flood damage was being repaired.  The church was again renovated in 1957, including the installation of new altars, confessionals and a baptismal font. 

On February 29, 1960, a fire destroyed the nearby Madonna of Jerusalem church.  St. Joseph Church was made available to Madonna of Jerusalem parish for Masses.  This disaster brought to a head concerns about the declining population of Sharpsburg.  The city had four churches situated near each other, with St. Joseph being the only territorial parish.  The bishop determined that the Catholic community could best be served by relocating St. Joseph parish.  On July 31, 1960, the bishop announced that the St. Joseph Church would be turned over to Madonna of Jerusalem parish and that a new St. Joseph Church would be built in O'Hara Township.

The first Mass in the new location was celebrated in a fire hall on August 7, 1960.  A garage was converted into a temporary chapel and the first Mass was celebrated there on September 5, 1960.  On December 10, 1960, ground was broken for a combined church/school building.  The school opened on September 5, 1961 and the building was dedicated on October 31, 1961.  The church was renovated in the mid 1980's.

After the turn of the 21st century, the congregation began to outgrow its church.  On May 25, 2008, the parish broke ground for a new church.  The completed building, which housed both the church and and a parish hall was dedicated on October 18, 2009.

St. Joseph Church, 2001
Interior St. Joseph, 2001
Ground breaking for the new St. Joseph Church, May 25, 2008