Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon
Weekdays: M 9:00 a.m.; 7:00 p.m.; T-F 7:00, 9:00 a.m.;
Sat. 9:00 a.m.
Saturday: 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
St. Maurice was established on June 30, 1949. The origin of the parish, however, can be traced back to 1942 when St. Maurice was founded as a mission of St. James, Wilkinsburg. Little is known of the mission years of the parish, including when and where Mass was celebrated. The first Mass in the new parish was celebrated on July 3, 1949, at the Melody Lane Skating Rink. The parish continued to use the rink until it got a church. In April of 1950, the parish purchased a closed bottling plant and converted it into a church. The conversion was completed by the end of the year.
This church served the congregation until the 1970's. In the middle of the decade, work began on a new church. The completed church was dedicated on December 4, 1977.
St. Mary Czestochowa was a Polish parish founded in 1893. As with many other ethnic parishes, this parish was an outgrowth of the rise of heavy industry in the area and the influx of immigrants to work in the mills. Enough Poles had moved into McKeesport by 1893 to support a parish. For the first few years of the parish, Masses were celebrated in a rented hall. In 1895 work began on a combined church and school, located on Versailles Avenue, which was dedicated on July 11, 1895.
This church served for two decades, but as the size of the congregation grew, it became necessary to build a new church. In 1917, construction of a new church began. However, due to rising costs and the war, work stopped after the ground was excavated and the basement was completed. The basement was roofed over and converted to a church. The first Mass in the new church-basement was celebrated on August 25, 1918. While the parish planned to complete the church building after the war, various economic problems involving the congregation prevented this from happening for years.
In 1934, the parish decided to build a school and convent over the basement church. The new combined school and convent was dedicated on March 3, 1935. Not until 1951 was construction begun on a new church for the parish. Groundbreaking took place on March 16, 1952 and the completed church was dedicated on May 2, 1954.
By 2010, the congregation of the parish had dwindled to about 550 families. Even with the addition of about 450 families from St. Pius V Parish after their church closed due to storm damage in February of 2010, the parish was not large enough to remain independent. On November 14, 2010, St. Mary Czestochowa Parish merged with St. Martin de Porres Parish and St. Pius V Parish (although the church officially closed earlier, the parish was not suppressed) to form the new Corpus Christi Parish. Only St. Mary Czestochowa Parish remained open after the merger and was renamed Corpus Christi.
St. Martin de Porres was established in 1993 as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization project. The parish was formed by the merger of four McKeesport parishes: Holy Trinity, St. Mary (German), St. Peter and Sacred Heart. Of the four churches, St. Mary was closed and later razed. The other three churches originally remained open and served the new parish. However, by the turn of the century, it became obvious that the parish could no longer support three churches. On September 23, 2007, final prayer services were held at St. Peter and Sacred Heart Churches and the buildings were closed. Sacred Heart was sold and St. Peter was razed. On December 2, 2007, Holy Trinity Church was rededicated as St. Martin de Porres.
By 2010, it became obvious that the dwindling congregation and the rising costs of maintaining the parish's building dictated that the parish could no longer remain independent. On November 14, 2010, St. Martin de Porres Parish merged with St. Pius V Parish and St. Mary Czestochowa Parish to form the new Corpus Christi Parish. As part of the merger, St. Martin de Porres Church closed to be sold at a later date.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:15 p.m.
Weekdays: M-F 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: As scheduled
Saturday: 3:00-3:45 p.m.
St. Margaret was established on January 3, 1931, as a mission of St. Martin, West End. The founding of the parish was sparked by a petition by a group of Greentree Catholics to the bishop on December 9, 1930, requesting permission to form the mission. On February 27, 1931, the parish purchased a former grocery store and converted it to a church. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on May 3, 1931. The congregation continued to grow and on July 27, 1938, St. Margaret became an independent parish.
The original church served the parish until 1952. In 1949, the state announced its plan to build the Penn-Lincoln Parkway. The route of the highway included the property of St. Margaret, including the church. The parish made plans to build a new school that would include a temporary church. Ground for the new church/school building was broken in April of 1951 and the building was dedicated on November 9, 1952. The upper floor of the building served as the school and the lower floor as a church.
The temporary church served the parish for over 25 years. On March 4, 1979, ground was broken for a new church. The cornerstone was laid on December 9, 1979, and the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on June 8, 1980. The church was officially dedicated on August 10, 1980. The temporary church in the school building was converted to a gymnasium.
Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.; 12:30, 4:30 p.m.
Weekdays: M-F 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: As announced
Adoration: Tuesday 9:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m.; Miraculous Medal Novena & Benediction: 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 11:30 a.m-12:30 p.m.
St. Louise de Marillac was established on May 25, 1961. The parish was created to meet the needs of the growing community of Upper St. Clair. The first Mass in the new parish was celebrated on June 3, 1961, in the St. Clair Township Municipal Building. The municipal building soon proved to be too small to meet the needs of the congregation and Sunday Masses were then moved to Fontbonne Academy.
Meanwhile, the parish made plans to construct a building that would hold a school and a temporary church. Ground for the church/school building was broken on October 21, 1962. The first Mass in the temporary church was celebrated on December 25, 1963.
The parish continued to grow. By the late 1970's it became obvious that a new, permanent church was needed. On March 15, 1980, ground for the new church was broken. The cornerstone of the church was laid on October 19, 1980, and the completed church was dedicated on August 23, 1981. The temporary church was converted to an auditorium/gymnasium.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:30 a.m.
Mon. 10am; Wed. 10am
Holy Days: 10 am
After 10 am Mass Mon. & Wed.
St. Jude the Apostle was established in 1994 as part of the diocese's reorganization and revitalization project. The parish was formed by merging the two parishes in Wilmerding, St. Aloysius and St. Leocadia. Initially, the parish kept both churches open, but with the understanding that within a year the parish would determine if it was feasible to keep both churches open. The parish studied the issue and decided that they only needed one church building. On September 8, 1995, St. Leocadia Church was closed.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. (September - April)
St. Joseph was founded in 1896 as a German parish. At that time, the town was known as Germantown or Dutchtown because most of the inhabitants were German immigrants who came there to work in the local coal mines. Even before the parish was established, the Church had a presence in Duquesne. In 1869, a chapel, called St. Dominic, was built in the town. A priest from St. Agnes, West Mifflin, visited the chapel once a week. At some point, the chapel was also used as a school.
In 1895, the local German Catholics began organizing to form their own parish. In that year, they purchased a local school and remodeled it into a combined church and school. The upper floor was used as the school, and the first floor as the church. In 1896 a pastor was assigned to the parish and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1896.
In 1899, the pastor purchased two acres of ground next to St. Dominic Chapel for a cemetery. St. Dominic Chapel then became the cemetery chapel. This building was torn down in the 1960's.
By the turn of the century, the congregation had outgrown its original church. The building was physically moved to make room for a new church. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1903 and the completed building was dedicated on August 26, 1904. The original church was then converted to a school. When a new school was built in 1909, the first church building was remodeled into two dwellings. These were eventually torn down in the late 1950's or early 1960's.
The church was enlarged in 1915 and renovated in 1947 and again in 1962. The church continues to serve the parish today.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m. (Apr - Oct) 4:00 p.m. (Nov - Mar)
Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: M-S 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: HV 4:00 p.m.; H 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:30, 11:30 a.m.
St. John the Baptist was established in 1911 as a mission of the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD). The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. The first known Mass celebrated in Unity took place on May 12, 1911. At first, Mass was celebrated in Unity Hall, a public school building. By the end of 1911, the parish rented a private home for use for Sunday Mass.
In 1915, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor on October 25. The parish continued to use the rented property for Mass while funds were raised for a new church. Construction of the church began in 1917 and the completed structure was dedicated on July 14, 1918.
As time went on, the congregation continued to grow. By the 1960's, plans were drawn up for a new church. Ground for the church was broken on March 26, 1963. The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on November 24, 1963, and the church was formally dedicated on January 5, 1964. The old church was converted to a parish hall, but was eventually torn down.
Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00, 11:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M-Sat. 8:00 a.m.
Holy Days: H 8:00 a.m., 12:05, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:30 a.m.
St. John Fisher parish was established on May 31, 1960. The parish was founded in response to the growth of population in Churchill following World War II. The first Mass of the parish was celebrated on June 12, 1960, in Fierst's Tavern. After that, until the church was built, Mass was celebrated at the Blackridge Civic Center. Work on the church began in March of 1962. The cornerstone of the church was laid on April 6, 1963, and the completed building was dedicated on May 31, 1963.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00, 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: M-F 9:00 a.m.
Saturday: 4:15-4:45 p.m.
St. John Capistran was established on December 30, 1968. However, the origin of the parish can be traced back to 1914, when the area was called Beadling. In that year the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) visited the community to determine the number of Catholics in the area. The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. Based on this visit, the MCCD established a mission on May 16, 1915. At first, the MCCD only conducted catechism classes in commercial buildings. By 1923, the MCCD determined that there was a need for a chapel in the area. Work on the chapel was completed that year and the building was dedicated on December 23, 1923. The chapel was then made a mission of St. Agatha in Bridgeville. From 1923 until 1938, Mass was celebrated once a month. Beginning in 1938, Mass was celebrated weekly.
St. John Capistran remained a mission of St. Agatha until 1947. In that year it became a mission of the new parish of Our Lady of Grace. In 1953 the parish purchased the McMillan public school and remodeled it into a church. The new church was dedicated on February 22, 1953. The old church was converted to classrooms and later renovated into a CCD center. Eventually the original church building was torn down.
On December 30, 1968, St. John Capistran became an independent parish. On February 6, 1972, ground was broken for a new church. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1972. The church was officially dedicated on February 4, 1973.