Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:45 p.m.
Weekdays: Monday – 7:30 a.m.; Thursday – 7:30 a.m.
Holy Days: HV 6:00 p.m.; H 9:00 a.m.; 7:00 p.m. Holy Days: 7 pm.
Saturday: 3:15 p.m.-3:45 p.m. and by appointment
St. John was founded in 1853. However, the origin of the parish can be traced back to the arrival of Irish immigrants to Clearfield Township in 1798. Coylesville itself was not founded until 1830. Until the establishment of St. Patrick parish in Sugar Creek in 1806, the Catholic settlers in Clearfield Township rarely saw a priest. Once St. Patrick was founded, the pastor of that parish visited the area once a month and celebrated Mass in a private home. The other weeks of the month, the residents would have to travel to Sugar Creek to attend Mass.
In 1840, land was purchased for the building of a church. The construction of that church did not begin until 1853. On August 15, 1853, the cornerstone for the new church was laid and the church was completed the next year. In 1855, a resident pastor was assigned to St. John.
This church continues to serve the local Catholic community to this day. Over the years, the original church has been remodeled and renovated. In 1877, the 156 foot tower was added. In 1895, the roof was rebuilt and the altars were installed. The church was renovated again in 1943, in 1969 and 1976.
Sunday: 9:15 a.m.
Sunday: 7:30 a.m.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m. (Nov.-Mar.); 6:00 p.m. (Apr.-Oct.)
Sunday: 11:15 a.m.
Weekdays: As Scheduled
Saturday: One hour before Vigil Mass and by appointment
St. Alphonsus was established on August 6, 1993, as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization. The parish was formed by merging the parishes of St. Alphonsus, Murrinsville; Epiphany, Boyers; St. Louis, West Sunbury; and St. Paschal, Argentine. Of the four church buildings, St. Paschal was closed and later razed. The other three churches remain open and serve the new parish.
Sunday: 9:45 a.m.
Weekdays: Wednesday 8:00 a.m.
Holy Days: H 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday: Following 8:00 a.m. Mass
St. Matthias was established in 1939. The driving force behind the formation of the parish was the pastor of St. Gregory parish, Zelienople. He saw a need for a church in Evans City to serve the people of that community. On March 19, 1939, an empty Methodist Episcopal Church was purchased and renovated for use as a parish church. The church was dedicated on May 30, 1939.
The church was a mission of St. Gregory until 1946 when a resident pastor was assigned to the parish. In 1968 the church was renovated and enlarged. The church continues to serve the community today.
Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:30, 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: M-S 8:00 a.m.
Saturday: 5:00 – 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:00 – 7:30 a.m.
St. Andrew parish was established in 1964. The parish was established to meet the spiritual needs of the Catholics in Center Township. At first Mass was celebrated in the St. Paul School auditorium. It was not until 1966 that work began on a parish church. On November 27, 1966, ground was broken for a combined church/educational center. The cornerstone was laid on May 6, 1967, and the church was completed on July 16, 1967. The church was officially dedicated on November 26,1967.
Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 7:00 a.m.; 10:30 a.m.
Weekdays: Wednesday – 10:15 a.m.; Friday – 7:30 a.m.
Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 noon
St. Wendelin was founded in 1845 as a result of the arrival of German settlers in the area. In 1845, the community built a small log school and chapel. For the first few years, the chapel was used for locally organized prayer services. Beginning about 1851, priests from St. Philomena in Pittsburgh or St. Patrick in Sugar Creek occasionally visited the area and conducted services. The building was enlarged in 1857.
In 1863, St. Wendelin became a mission of St. Peter, Butler. In 1875 work was begun on a new, larger church to accommodate the growing congregation. This church was dedicated on January 16, 1876. In 1880, the Capuchin Fathers were assigned to minister to the parish. For many years, the Capuchins lived at the monastery in Herman, taught at St. Fidelis Seminary there and conducted services at the parish on weekends. Not until 1926 was the parish assigned a resident parish.
The church served the community for almost a century. On March 17, 1970, ground was broken for a new church. The cornerstone was laid on October 18, 1970 and the new church was dedicated on April 3, 1971.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: W/Th/F 12:05 p.m.
Saturday: 3:00-3:30 p.m.
St. Peter was founded in 1821, the first parish in Butler County. Originally, the parish was a territorial parish. The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of Irish immigrants to the area beginning in 1795. For the next ten years, the few Catholics in the area had to content themselves with an occasional visit from traveling missionaries or priests passing through the area on their way elsewhere. When St. Patrick in Sugar Creek was founded in 1806, that parish took responsibility for the Catholics of Butler.
By 1821, enough Catholics had moved into the area to make the organization of a parish practical. Plans to build a church were drawn up and work began that year. St. Peter church was built in 1822 and used by the congregation beginning in that year. However, it was not until 1834 that the church was completed and blessed.
During this time period, the German population of Butler began to grow. While the parish remained a mission of St. Patrick, German priests from Pittsburgh began making regular visits to St. Peter to minister to the Germans. In 1840, the parish became independent with the appointment of its first resident pastor. The Germans in the congregation continued to receive monthly visits from German priests from Pittsburgh, however.
By 1847, the existing church could no longer accommodate the growing congregation. In 1848 land was purchased for a new church. However, a dispute arose between the English speaking and German speaking members of the parish. Each wanted a church where they could worship in their own language. Bishop O'Connor offered an acceptable compromise by promising to send a pastor who could speak both languages. The cornerstone of the church was laid on August 6, 1848 and the new church was dedicated on October 14, 1849.
The conflict between the Germans and Irish eventually worked itself out. Most of the Germans lived in Butler itself while most of the Irish lived in the outskirts of the town. When St. Joseph, North Oakland was founded in 1847 and St. John, Coylesville was founded in 1853, many of the Irish members of St. Peter switched to those parishes. This made the congregation predominately German. With the founding of St. Paul, Butler in 1867, the remaining Irish left St. Peter to attend that parish and St. Peter became a German ethnic parish.
In 1889, the church was remodeled and enlarged. The church was renovated in 1899 with the installation of new glass windows and in 1924 with the installation of three new altars. In 1963 another major renovation to the church was made. Since that time, the church continues to serve the Catholic community of Butler.
Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M/T 12:05 p.m.
Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 noon
St. Michael was founded as an Italian ethnic parish in 1909. The origin of the parish can be traced to Italian immigration to Butler in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. By 1909 there were about 200 Italian families in Butler. In that year, newly ordained Fr. Vincent Marinaro came to the United States to visit his four brothers. While in Butler, he was approached by the pastor of St. Paul and a delegation of Italian Americans and asked to form a parish. Permission was requested of the bishop to form an Italian parish and, on August 6, 1909 he was appointed pastor of the Italian mission.
The second floor of a warehouse was rented for a temporary church and on August 22, 1909, the first Mass of St. Michael parish was celebrated. On February 10, 1910, a former Methodist church was purchased and renovated and was dedicated on August 28, 1910. On February 3, 1912, the Belgian and French families in Butler were joined to the parish. A special Mass in French was celebrated each Sunday.
On December 26, 1920 and on December 24, 1925, the church was badly damaged by fire. In both instances, the building was repaired. In 1926, fund raising began for a new church. However, the depression put a hold on any such plans. Not until 1947 was land for the new church purchased. In May of 1948 ground was broken for the new church. The cornerstone was laid on June 11, 1950 and the church was dedicated on September 28, 1952.
This church continues to serve the parish and the congregation today.
Saturday Vigil: 6:30 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon, 7:00 p.m.
Last Sunday of each month (Spanish); 2:00 p.m.
Weekdays: M-F 8:00 a.m.; Sat. 8:00 a.m.
Saturday: 8:40-9:30 a.m.
St. Paul was founded in 1867. The impetus for the creation of the parish was the rise of German immigration into Butler. Prior to the creation of St. Paul, the Catholic Church in Butler was St. Peter, founded in 1821. At first, St. Peter was an English language church. However, an influx of German immigrants to the city led to a congregation dominated by the Germans to the point that a German pastor was appointed to St. Peter. In 1866, the English speaking members of St. Peter requested a new parish. Permission was granted, work began on a church and on February 17, 1867, the new church was dedicated. Around 1890, the church was enlarged.
By the turn of the century, the church could no longer adequately accommodate the congregation. A temporary church was built on the school grounds around 1908 and the old church was torn down so that a new church could be built on the site. The cornerstone for the church was laid on September 19, 1909 and the building was dedicated on September 10, 1911. The church was renovated in 1958. This church continues to serve the community today.
Saturday Vigil: 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 9:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M-S 8:00 a.m.
Saturday: 12:00 noon-1:00 p.m.; 3:45-4:15 p.m.
St. Mary was founded in 1842. The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of German immigrants to Summit Township, as Herman was called then. These Germans were primarily farmers. To attend Mass, they had to travel to St. Peter in Butler. In 1841, the community had grown to the point that they petitioned the bishop in Philadelphia for permission to form their own congregation. Permission was granted and they immediately began fund raising for a church. On June 22, 1842, the cornerstone of the church was laid and on July 6, 1845, the completed church was dedicated. Initially, the church was visited once a month from St. Philomena in Pittsburgh. In 1846, the first resident pastor was assigned to St. Mary Assumption.
The congregation grew steadily and by 1862 had outgrown the church. Rather than build a completely new building, the existing building was reconstructed. The new, larger building was dedicated on February 19, 1867. The church was renovated in 1891, 1897, 1904, 1917 and 1937.
By the beginning of the 1950's, it became obvious that a new church was needed. The final Mass in the original church was celebrated on August 19, 1853 and the razing of the building began on August 24, 1953. Until the new church was ready, Mass was celebrated in the auditorium of the parish school. Ground breaking for the new church took place on September 27, 1953. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1954 and the completed church was dedicated on September 18, 1955.
This church continues to serve the Catholic community today.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00, 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 6:00 p.m.
Weekdays: M-Sat. 8:30 a.m.; M/F 6:30 a.m.;
T/W/Th/1st F 7:00 p.m.
Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 8:30 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m., after 6:00 p.m. Mass
St. Ferdinand was established in 1961. The history of the parish can be traced back to January 20, 1960, when a mission of St. Alphonsus, Wexford was established in Cranberry Township to minister to the growing community. The first Mass in the area was celebrated in a local restaurant on January 24, 1960. After a year, the location for celebrating Mass moved to a local fire hall.
On May 31, 1961, the parish was formally established and a resident pastor was assigned. The new parish continued to use the fire hall. In October 1961, ground was broken for a parish rectory, which was completed in 1962. Beginning on June 3, 1962, Sunday Mass was moved from the fire hall to the rectory. In 1963, plans were drawn up for a building that would hold the parish hall, CCD classes and a temporary church. Ground for the building was broken on March 8, 1964. The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on April 18, 1965, and the completed building was dedicated on February 20, 1966.
This church served the community for over 20 years. However, the rapid growth of the area in the 1980's made a larger church necessary. Ground for a new church was broken on October 8, 1989, and the completed church was dedicated on December 23, 1990. The former church was converted into a recreation center.