Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.; Sunday: 7:30, 9:30, 11:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M/W/F 6:45 a.m., T 9:00; Sat. 9:00 a.m.
Saturday: 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
St. James was founded in 1863. The small Catholic congregation in Sewickley consisted primarily of servants working for the wealthy residents of the town. Beginning in 1847, the pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul, Beaver, visited Sewickley three or four times a year to celebrate Mass. In 1863, he purchased a plot of ground and built a small frame church for the congregation of five families and about 40 servant girls. With the new church, Mass was celebrated once a month.
In 1868, St. James received a resident pastor. One of the first things the new pastor did was to begin work on a new church. On June 4, 1868, the cornerstone for the new church was laid. However, on May 12, 1869, just weeks before work on the church was completed, the building collapsed. The rubble was cleared away and work on another church began. This church was dedicated on November 24, 1870.
The church was renovated in the 1890's and in 1912. The later renovation was so complete that the church was rededicated on December 7, 1912. By the 1960's, plans were underway to build a new church. Work on the church began on April 30, 1967 and the cornerstone was laid on October 29, 1967. The last Mass in the old church and the first Mass in the new church occurred on July 25, 1968 and the church was dedicated on September 29, 1968. On December 22, 1968, the old church was sold to St. Stephen Episcopal Church.
The church built in 1968 continues to serve the parish today.
Saturday Vigil: 4:15, 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m.
Weekdays: M/W/F 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; T/Th 7:00 a.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 7:00, 9:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon
Saturday: 11:00 a.m.; after 4:15 p.m. Mass
St. Teresa was founded in 1867. It was founded to meet the needs of the Catholics in the growing community of Perrysville. Before 1864, the Catholics of Perrysville had to travel to Wexford or Allegheny City (now Pittsburgh's North Side) to attend Mass. In 1864, Mass was celebrated in a local home by a priest from Wexford. In 1864, land was purchased for a church and the cornerstone of the church was laid on July 4, 1866. On October 6, 1867, the church was dedicated
With occasional remodeling and renovations, this church served the community for over 60 years. Due to the growth of the congregation, the parish decided in the 1930's that a larger church was needed. On May 20, 1934, ground was broken for the new church and the completed building was dedicated on May 17, 1935.
With the move of population from the city of Pittsburgh to the suburbs after World War II, the congregation grew enormously. Despite having three other parishes created from St. Teresa, the congregation was so large that the parish had to hold Masses in the school gym as well as the church. On October 9, 1982, ground was broken for a new church large enough to accommodate the congregation. This church was dedicated on December 18, 1983.
Saturday Vigil:4:00 p.m. Mass from (October-March) 5:00 p.m. Mass from April- September; Sunday: 7:30, 9:30, 11:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M-F 7:00 a.m.; Sat. 8:00 a.m.
Saturday: 12:00 p.m.-12:30 p.m.
St. Athanasius is a strong Catholic Community of believers reaching out to others with the commitment to share God's love. At our core is the Eucharist, from which flows our call to serve. The vitality of the present has evolved from our treasured past and is the foundation for a promising future.
St. Athanasius was established on July 8, 1907. The parish was founded as a result of the growth of population in the area. During the winter of 1906 to 1907, local Catholics met to plan for their own parish. They petitioned the bishop for a parish and the bishop approved the petition. The first Mass in the new parish was celebrated on July 14, 1907, in a barn. Soon afterwards work began on a building that would contain the church, two classrooms, a convent and rectory. In addition, the basement would hold a dining room, kitchen and bowling alleys.
The cornerstone of the building was laid on June 28, 1908, and the completed building was dedicated on June 6, 1909. The church occupied the second floor of the building. As the parish grew, the parish plant grew with it. A rectory was built in 1924 and in 1928 an annex was added to the building to hold additional classrooms. Soon the congregation outgrew the church. On July 22, 1941, ground was broken for a new church and on May 2, 1943, it was dedicated. The old church was abandoned, although the rest of the building remained in use until 1980, when the building was torn down.
In the late 1950's the stained glass windows were installed in the church. In the 1960's the sanctuary was remodeled and a new organ was installed in 1974. The church continues to serve the congregation today.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 7:45 p.m.
Weekdays: M/F 8:00; S 10:00 a.m.
Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m. (W 6:30 p.m.);
H 8:00, 11:00 a.m.; 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:30-11:30 a.m.; after 10:00 a.m. Mass
Saturday Evening: 5:00 - 5:30 p.m.; after 4:00 p.m. Mass
Assumption Church was founded in 1903. The parish was founded to meet the needs of the growing suburban communities of Bellevue and Avalon. Bishop Richard Phelan suggested the name of the new parish to commemorate the first log chapel built by the French in 1754 where the first Mass west of the Alleghenies was offered. The first church was a rented former dance hall located above a stable on Lincoln Ave. The first parish Mass was held here on September 13, 1903. The disadvantages of holding services above a stable soon became apparent and work began on a new church on North Jackson Avenue in 1904. The cornerstone was laid in August 1904 and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on January 1, 1905.
The parish continued to grow and the decision was made to open a school. Rather than build a separate school building, the parish enlarged the existing church building to add six classrooms. This construction took place in 1913 in time for the school to open in September of that year.
The parish continued to grow and in 1924 land was purchased for a new church. Ground for the church was broken on June 9, 1930. The cornerstone was laid on August 17, 1930, and the building was dedicated on November 22, 1931. Although the church was open for use by the congregation, the building was not completed according to the plans. The church lacked its stained glass windows, organ, side altars, baptistry and some of the interior decorations. These were not added to the church until the late 1940's. With the building of a new church, the old church facilities were converted to classrooms.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; (5:00 p.m. Sept-May)
Weekdays: M/Th/Sat. 9:00 a.m.; W 7:00 p.m.;
F 9:30 a.m. (Saint Barnabas Retirement Village)
Saturday: 3:00– 4:30 p.m. and by appointment; Wednesday: 6:00 pm-6:45 pm
St. Richard was established on November 1, 1992. The parish was founded to meet the needs of the growing population of the area. Until a church could be built, Mass was celebrated at the chapel of St. Barnabas Nursing Home in Midland. Ground for the church was broken on May 1, 1994, and the completed church was dedicated on December 17, 1995.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00, 10:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M-F 9:00 a.m.; W 1:30 p.m. (Masonic Village Nursing Home)
Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 9:00 a.m
Saturday:4:00 p.m.; or by appointment
St. Mary was founded as a German parish in 1853 to serve the small population of Catholics in the area. The first Mass in the area was probably celebrated in 1848 in a private home. In 1853, the pastor of St. Mary, Allegheny City (now Pittsburgh's North Side) began work on a church. The completed structure was dedicated on August 15, 1854. At the time, the congregation totaled eight families.
For the first 16 years of its existence, a priest visited the church once a month. From 1870 to 1890, the church was visited twice a month. Beginning in 1890, the church was visited once a week. During this time period, the church was a mission of St. Mary, North Side; St. James, Sewickley and Holy Ghost College (now Duquesne University). Beginning in 1893, the parish became a mission of Sacred Heart, Emsworth. Sometime before the turn of the century, the parish was no longer considered a German parish and became a territorial parish.
The church was remodeled in 1887. By the end of the century, it became obvious that the growing congregation would need a new, larger church. In 1897, the foundation for the new church was laid. For the next few years, construction continued slowly. Not until July 15, 1906, was the cornerstone laid. The completed church was dedicated on May 5, 1907.
In 1969, St. Mary became an independent parish with the appointment of a resident pastor. The church built in 1907 continues to serve the congregation today.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: M/W/F 9:00 a.m.; T/Th 7:00 a.m., First Friday: 8:00 p.m. Followed by all night adoration
Tuesdays 7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Adoration
Saturday: 4:00-4:45 p.m.
Welcome to one of the newest and fastest growing Catholic Parishes in the North Hills of the Diocese of Pittsburgh! Our desire as a faith community is to be loyal to the authentic teaching of the Roman Catholic faith and practice. We pledge to celebrate the sacraments with faith, reverence and devotion. Service to the poor and needy is paramount to putting our faith into action. Sharing our faith and teaching the truth of Christ is done through good example and many creative and innovated Faith Formation programs and projects.
Ss. John and Paul was established on February 12, 1994. The parish was the result of the growth of population in the Pittsburgh suburbs of North Hills. Until the parish could build a church, Mass was celebrated in the basement of an office building. The only exceptions were on Palm Sunday, Easter and Christmas when Mass was moved to the Marshall Middle School. Shortly after the parish was established work began on a multi-purpose building which would include temporary church facilities. The building was completed in May of 1996. The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on June 1, 1996, and the building was formally dedicated on June 16, 1996. The church portion of the building was only a temporary expedient until a permanent church could be built. Ground for a permenant church was broken on June 14, 2008. The church was dedicated May 2, 2010 and the temporary church converted to the Cardinal DiNardo Center, a multipurpose building.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 7:30, 9:15, 11:00 a.m.; 6:00 p.m.
Weekdays: M/T/W/F 9:30 a.m.; Th Morning Prayer 9:30 a.m.
Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 noon
Saint Catherine of Sweden Parish is a warm and welcoming Catholic family bringing Christ's love alive through faithful service and vibrant liturgy for every seeker of truth.
St. Catherine was established in 1953. However, the origin of the parish stretched back to 1934. In that year, the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) opened a Sunday School for local children on September 30, 1934. The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who lacked access to an existing church. In 1943, the local Catholics petitioned the bishop for permission to build their own church. Permission was granted to build a church when possible.
Up until this time, Catholics in Wildwood had to travel to St. Ursula in Allison Park to attend Mass. In late 1943, a room in an old public school was rented to use for catechetical instruction and celebrating Mass. The first Mass was celebrated on December 12, 1943. In 1947, work began on a new church. The cornerstone was laid on September 28, 1947, and the completed church was dedicated on September 12, 1948. The parish's status was changed from a mission to an independent parish on June 18, 1953, with the appointment of a resident pastor.
As the century progressed, the population of the area continued to grow. Despite part of the parish territory being transferred to the new parish of St. Richard in 1992, the congregation had outgrown its church by the end of the century. Fund raising for a new church began in the late 1990's. Ground was broken for a new church on July 20, 2003 and the new church was dedicated on October 2, 2004.
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:30 a.m 11:00 a.m 5:00 p.m.
Weekdays: M/W/Th/F/S 8:00 a.m.; F 8:30 a.m (During school year only)
Weekdays:M/W/Th/F 7:30-7:50 a.m.
No confession on Friday during school year
Saturday: 7:30-7:50 a.m.; 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
St. Alexis was established on May 25, 1961. The parish was the result of the growth of population in the northern suburbs. Land for the parish plant came from the purchase of a farm. While the church was being constructed, Sunday Masses were held at the Pine Valley Roller Skating Rink. However, this building was not available for daily Masses. To meet this need, an existing chicken coop on the farm property was renovated and turned into a temporary chapel. The first Mass in this chapel was celebrated on July 8, 1961.
Ground for the church was broken in the fall of 1961. The building was constructed in 1962 and the first Mass was celebrated in it on December 23, 1962. The church was formally dedicated on August 11, 1963.
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 7:30, 9:30 and 11:30 am
Weekdays: Monday 7a.m.; Tuesday 7 a.m.; Wednesday 9 a.m.; Thursday No Mass; Friday 7 a.m.; Saturday No morning Mass
12 p.m. noon- 1:00 p.m. on Saturday or by appointment
St. Alphonsus was founded in 1840. Catholic settlement in the area began as early as 1790. The early settlers were farmers, both Irish and Germans. To attend Mass, these Catholics had to either depend on the occasional visit from a missionary priest, or, after 1808, to travel to Pittsburgh to visit St. Patrick. The first known Mass in the area was celebrated in a private home in 1832. In 1835, the Bishop of Philadelphia visited Wexford. While there a local Catholic gave him a deed for land for a church.
The actual building of a church did not occur until after the Redemptorist Fathers arrived in Pittsburgh and founded St. Philomena and took responsibility for the Catholics in Wexford. The cornerstone for the new church was laid in May 1840 and the completed church was dedicated on July 19, 1840.
For the first 24 years, St. Alphonsus was a mission of other parishes. At various times it was a mission of St. Philomena, St. Mary in Sharpsburg, Ss. Peter and Paul in Beaver and St. Peter in Allegheny City (now Pittsburgh's North Side). Sometime between 1843 and 1860, the original church was destroyed in a storm and a new church was built.
In 1864, the parish received its first resident pastor. As the population grew over the years, the need for a larger church became obvious. A new church was built in 1889. As the population continued to grow, the church again became too small. Rather than build a new church, the parish renovated and expanded the existing church in 1912. The seating area was extended and two sacristies, a new sanctuary and altars, confessionals and a baptismal font were added.
In the 1960's, the congregation again outgrew the existing church. Again the parish decided to expand the existing church rather than build a new building. This expansion took place in 1968. The original church building was renovated in 1976.
This church continues to serve the congregation today.