M-F 7:00 am
Sat. 8:00 am
5:15 pm - 5:45 pm
1st F after morning Masses
Holy Angels was established in 1903. Before the parish was formed, the area was part of Holy Cross parish in the South Side, although some local Catholics chose to travel to St. Mary Magdalene for Mass. In 1902, the pastor of Holy Cross held a meeting in Hays to make plans for a new parish. The plans for the parish were submitted to the bishop who approved them. On October 24, 1902, a house was purchased to serve as a rectory with sufficient land for the building of a church. On January 11, 1903, the first Mass in the parish was celebrated in the rectory. On April 9, 1903, the first pastor of the new parish was appointed.
That spring work began on the church. The church was dedicated on October 25, 1903. The church originally had a wooden foundation. By 1918, the building was noticeably sinking. The church was raised and the foundation was replaced and a hall constructed beneath the building. The interior of the church was completely renovated in 1945, including the installation of a new altar. Stained glass windows were added in 1947.
In the late 1960's the parish considered building a new church. After studying the pros and cons of a new church, the parish decided in 1970 against new construction. Instead, the existing church was repaired and renovated. Over the next few years, the church was completely renovated including replacement of the pews, enlarging the Sacristy and adding new stations of the cross.
The church that was built in 1903 as a temporary structure, still stands and serves the parish today.
M-F 6:30 am
9:30 am or by appointment
St. Therese of Lisieux was established on October 3, 1925, to serve the needs of the Catholics living in the portion of Munhall known as Homestead Park. The first Mass was celebrated in the Homestead Park Municipal Building on October 18, 1925. Work was begun on a frame church in November of 1925 and the completed church was dedicated on January 25, 1926.
As the years passed, the congregation continued to grow. Land for new parish facilities was purchased on July 13, 1951. In 1953, work began on a new school building which would also contain a temporary church. The combined school/church building was dedicated on August 21, 1954. The ground floor of the new building was used as a church while the two upper floors held classrooms. Ground for a new church was broken on March 23, 1958. The cornerstone was laid on March 27, 1961, and the completed building was dedicated on June 18, 1961.
St. Clare parish was established in Clairton on January 15, 1903. However, the origin of the faith community stretches back to 1895, when St. Michael parish, Elizabeth established a mission in Clairton. At that time Mass was held in a room of the T. Campbell Glass Company. As heavy industry, particularly the steel industry, moved into the area, the population grew rapidly, making the formation of the new parish practical. The cornerstone of the new church, located on Wilson Avenue, was laid on July 19, 1903 and the church was dedicated on April 24, 1904. The parish remained a mission of St. Michael until April 1907, when the first pastor was assigned.
On January 6, 1924, a fire completely destroyed the church. A new frame church was built on the site in the summer of 1925. Although intended as a temporary structure, the church served the parish until 1954. In 1953, construction was begun on a combination school and church building. The cornerstone was laid on July 5, 1954, and the building was dedicated on August 12, 1954. In 1987, the church was remodeled and the parish was renamed St. Clare of Assisi.
With the collapse of the steel industry in the area with the subsequent loss of population in the 1980's, it was no longer feasible to maintain St. Clare as an independent parish. In 1994, the parish was merged with St. Joseph and St. Paulinus. As part of the merger, St. Clare Church was closed. However, the new parish retained the name of St. Clare of Assisi.
4:00 PM Saturday October-March:
M-Sat. 8:30 am
Call for Schedule
12:00 - 12:30 pm
Resurrection was established in 1936. Beginning in 1934, a group of Catholics in the section of West Mifflin called Homeville organized to work for a local parish. A year later, they presented a petition to the bishop for a parish. On November 7, 1935, the bishop instructed the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) to take over the care of Homeville until a regular parish could be established. The MCCD was formed by the diocese to minister to Catholics in isolated areas who did not have easy access to a parish. On April 12, 1936, the first Mass in the new parish was celebrated in the Homeville firehall. On September 30, 1937, a resident pastor was assigned to the parish.
Groundbreaking for a new church took place on May 24, 1938. The church was dedicated on November 11, 1938. The church served the congregation for twenty five years, surviving a fire in 1946.
Beginning in 1960, the parish began a renovation of the entire parish plant. The first step was the purchase of additional land and the construction of a parish school. The school was built and opened in 1962. On September 3, 1963, ground was broken for a new church with an attached convent. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on October 11, 1964, and the church was dedicated on April 11, 1965. The old church was converted to a social center.
4:00 pm, April-September
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm
St. Rita was established in 1936. Before the parish was founded, local Catholics had to travel to Homestead, Munhall or Braddock to attend Mass. For many years, they hoped to have a church of their own. In fact, on September 1, 1925, two local Catholics deeded property to the bishop to be used for a future parish to be named St. Rita.
The parish became a reality in 1936 when the Mission Confraternity of Christian Doctrine was given the responsibility for organizing the parish. The first meeting of the new parish occurred on July 19, 1936, to plan for organization of the parish and fund raising for a church. The parish rented the old Whitaker Fire Engine House to celebrate Mass until a church could be purchased or built. The first Mass was celebrated on October 18, 1936.
Shortly afterwards, a garage was purchased and renovated into a church. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on March 7, 1937. On September 30, 1937, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor.
The church was remodeled around 1940 including the installation of pews. Due to the increase of population in the area after World War II, the congregation eventually outgrew its church. In 1955, construction began on a new combined church and school building on the land donated in 1925. The completed building was dedicated on May 22, 1959. The building included a temporary church on the first floor and classrooms on the second floor. The original church was converted into a parish hall. The old church building was eventually sold in the early 1970's.
About that time, the parish was prepared to build a permanent church. Ground for the new church was broken on December 15, 1975, and the completed church was dedicated on October 10, 1976.
M-F 9:00 am
3:15 pm - 3:45 pm
St. Maximilian Kolbe was established in 1992 as part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization project. The parish was formed by the merger of six parishes: St. Anne, St. Anthony, St. Mary Magdalene and Ss. Peter and Paul in Homestead and St. Michael and St. Margaret in Munhall. Of the six church buildings, four remained open and two, St. Margaret and Ss. Peter and Paul, were sold. However, the parish soon found itself struggling financially to maintain four church buildings. In June of 2006, the parish began a study to determine the number of churches it could financially support. The study concluded that the parish should only retain one church. On November 1, 2009, the parishes closed the churches of St. Anthony, St. Mary Magdalene and St. Michael and renamed St. Anne Church as St. Maximilian Kolbe Church.
9:00 am (September-April)
St. Joseph was founded in 1896 as a German parish. At that time, the town was known as Germantown or Dutchtown because most of the inhabitants were German immigrants who came there to work in the local coal mines. Even before the parish was established, the Church had a presence in Duquesne. In 1869, a chapel, called St. Dominic, was built in the town. A priest from St. Agnes, West Mifflin, visited the chapel once a week. At some point, the chapel was also used as a school.
In 1895, the local German Catholics began organizing to form their own parish. In that year, they purchased a local school and remodeled it into a combined church and school. The upper floor was used as the school, and the first floor as the church. In 1896 a pastor was assigned to the parish and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1896.
In 1899, the pastor purchased two acres of ground next to St. Dominic Chapel for a cemetery. St. Dominic Chapel then became the cemetery chapel. This building was torn down in the 1960's.
By the turn of the century, the congregation had outgrown its original church. The building was physically moved to make room for a new church. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1903 and the completed building was dedicated on August 26, 1904. The original church was then converted to a school. When a new school was built in 1909, the first church building was remodeled into two dwellings. These were eventually torn down in the late 1950's or early 1960's.
The church was enlarged in 1915 and renovated in 1947 and again in 1962. The church continues to serve the parish today.
M-W 8:00 am
First Friday 8:00 am
Holy Trinity was founded as a Slovak parish in 1901. Before that year, the Slovak immigrants who had moved to the Duquesne/West Mifflin area to work in the mills traveled to either Braddock or McKeesport to attend Mass. To avoid this inconvenience, local Slovaks purchased property on First Street and built a frame church in 1901. Soon afterwards, work began on a new brick church. The cornerstone was laid on October 16, 1904 and the completed church was dedicated on September 29, 1907. In 1908, the old frame church was converted to a school and used as such until 1925.
This church served the congregation until the 1960's. By that time, the church building needed major repairs. In addition, the reforms of Vatican II made it necessary to make major renovations to the building. Rather than try to repair the existing church, it was decided to build a new church. Ground for the new church was broken on April 7, 1968, and the cornerstone was laid on August 24, 1969. The church was dedicated on April 25, 1970, and continues to serve the community to this day.
8:00 am, 10:00 am (Memorial Day - Labor Day)
8:00 am, 11:00 am (Labor Day - Memorial Day)
M-F 8:30 am (Oratory)
1st Sat. 8:30 am (Oratory)
HV 4:00 pm
H 8:30 am
10:15 am - 11:15 am (Oratory)
Holy Spirit was established on May 20, 1963, to serve the growing community of West Mifflin. The first Mass celebrated in the parish occurred on May 23 in a hangar at the County Airport. Beginning in June, Mass was celebrated in a union hall, which was used until the church could be built. Ground for the new church was broken on December 13, 1964. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1965. On January 30, 1966, the first Mass was celebrated in the new church and the building was dedicated on July 10, 1966. In 1983, the stained glass windows were installed.
Sunday: 8:30 am (May-August)
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 pm
Sunday: 10 am (May thru August); 11:30 am (September-April)
Weekdays: M/T/W/Th 12:00 noon; F 8:00 am
11:00 am (Holy Name)
Christ the Light of the World was established on February 12, 1994, as part of the diocese's reorganization and revitalization program. The parish was formed by merging St. Hedwig and Holy Name parishes. Both churches remain open and serve the new parish.