Office of the Diocesan Bishop
Diocese of Pittsburgh Pastoral Center:111 Boulevard of the Allies
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1618
Phone: (412) 456-3010
Fax: (412) 456-3185
Biography of the Most Reverend David A. Zubik, DD
Bishop David A. Zubik was born September 4, 1949, in Sewickley, Pennsylvania, to Stanley and the late Susan (Raskosky) Zubik. He attended Saint Stanislaus Elementary School and Saint Veronica High School, both in Ambridge, before entering Saint Paul Seminary in Pittsburgh. He received an undergraduate degree at Duquesne University in 1971 and went on to study at Saint Mary Seminary and University in Baltimore, Maryland, where he earned a degree in theology in 1975.
Bishop Zubik was ordained a priest on May 3, 1975, by Bishop Vincent M. Leonard at Saint Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh. Bishop Zubik served as Parochial Vicar of Sacred Heart Parish, Shadyside, until 1980. He was then assigned as Vice Principal of Quigley Catholic High School in Baden as well as Chaplain to the Sisters of Saint Joseph Motherhouse and Chaplain to the students at Mount Gallitzin Academy. At the same time, he began graduate studies at Duquesne University where he earned a master’s degree in education administration in 1982. He served in the role of adjunct spiritual director at Saint Paul Seminary from 1984 through 1991 and associate spiritual director at Saint Vincent Seminary, Latrobe, from 1989 through 1996.
In 1987, Bishop Zubik was appointed Administrative Secretary to then-Pittsburgh Bishop Anthony J. Bevilacqua, who later became the Cardinal Archbishop of Philadelphia. In 1988, he was appointed Administrative Secretary and Master of Ceremonies to then-Pittsburgh Bishop Donald W. Wuerl (now Cardinal Archbishop of Washington, DC), where he served until 1991, when he began his service as Director of Clergy Personnel.
In 1995, he was named Associate General Secretary and Chancellor of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and on January 1, 1996, became Vicar General and General Secretary—a position in which he served until his appointment as the Bishop of the Diocese of Green Bay.
Bishop Zubik was consecrated a bishop on April 6, 1997, at Saint Paul Cathedral and was appointed auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
On October 10, 2003, the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, named the Most Reverend David A. Zubik as the Eleventh Bishop of the Diocese of Green Bay. Bishop Zubik was installed as Bishop on December 12, 2003.
On July 18, 2007, he was named by Pope Benedict XVI as the Twelfth Bishop of Pittsburgh. He was installed at Saint Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh on September 28, 2007.
Bishop Zubik currently serves on the following committees:
- USCCB Catholic Communications Campaign Subcommittee
- USCCB Protection of Children and Young People Committee
- Catholic-Jewish Dialogue of the USCCB
- Board of Trustees, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC
- Chairman, Pilgrimage Committee
- Board of Trustees, The Papal Foundation
- Board of Trustees, Saint Mary’s Seminary and University, Baltimore, MD
- Board of Regents, Saint Vincent Seminary, Latrobe, PA
- Chairman, Committee on Priestly Formation
- Episcopal Advisory Board, Catholic Athletes for Christ
- Episcopal Advisory Board, Catholic Education Foundation
- Episcopal Advisory Board, Catholic Leadership Institute
- Board of Directors, Sister Thea Bowman Foundation
- Advisory Board, Angels’ Place
- Board of Directors, Building United of Southwest Pennsylvania
- Vice Chair, Council, Christian Associates of Southwest Pennsylvania
- Advisory Board, National Catholic Center for Holocaust Education, Seton Hill University, Greensburg, PA
- Cabinet, Southwestern Pennsylvania Food Security Partnership
- Board of Directors, United Way of Greater Pittsburgh
- Board of Directors, Urban League of Pittsburgh
In addition, Bishop Zubik serves as …
- Episcopal Liaison, Catholic Charities USA
- Episcopal Moderator, Catholic Purchasing Services
- Episcopal Chair, Ladies of Charity of the USA
- Episcopal Liaison, National Association of Church Personnel Administrators