How Can I? - Priests
Welcome to the New Diocese of Pittsburgh Website!
On June 6, 2011, the Diocese of Pittsburgh will begin an exciting new chapter in its history with the launching of a new website that will be an alive, engaging, responsive, and growing part of our local church.
This new website will be a project of all the parishes, schools and departments of the diocese. With an ordinary web browser and basic word processing skills, you will have a secure way to add and change data on the site, including Mass times, parish staff members, and parish events.
Our website will be constantly growing and changing to meet the needs of priests, parishes, schools, and diocesan staff. This brochure provides information on how to use some of the basic functions of the site. It will show you how to:
- Login to the website and set account and editing privileges
- Explore your profile page
- Make basic changes to your profile page
This site supports the vast majority of web browsers in use today, including:
- Internet Explorer 6 and above
- Safari XXX and above
- Mozilla Firefox XXX and above
- Google Chrome XXX and above
If your parish or school uses an older browser, you will not be able to make changes to your page. Please update your browser as soon as possible.
Today, nearly all websites are designed to work on screens with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels or higher. If your computer’s screen is set to a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels—currently, only 0.6 percent of computer monitors are set to 800 x 600 pixels—the new diocesan site will appear a bit too big for your browser’s window. Though you will still be able to use the site, increasing the resolution of your monitor will make using the site a bit easier.
The exact procedure for adjusting the screen resolution will vary depending on your version of Microsoft Windows, and the age of your monitor and video card will determine your screen resolution options.
Diocesan Website Help Desk
If you encounter problems with any of the steps outlined here or have additional questions not addressed in this brochure, please call the Diocesan Website Help Desk at (412) 456-3018 / (412) 456-3019.
Step 1: Logging In
To make changes or add content to your parish, school, or department profile page, you will need to 1) login to the website and 2) be granted permission to make changes to your page. This section will show you how to:
- Login for the first time
- Reset your password
- Change your account information
In addition, it will show group owners how to delegate administrative privileges to others if they choose to do so.
Logging in for the first time
Begin by visiting diocesan website at http://18.104.22.168. On the top right hand corner of any page, you will see fields where you can sign in.
If your name is in the 2011 Official Catholic Directory of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, you should already have an account with a username and temporary password.Your username will be your first initial and last name (e.g., “jsmith”). Your temporary password is the same as your username. Once you login, it is imperative that you change your temporary password to a more secure one.
If your name is not in the 2011 Official Catholic Directory of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, you will need to create a new username and password. To do so, click on “click here to register” at the top of any page. You will see several tabs. Make sure that the “Create new account” tab is selected. Then, provide:
1. A username of your own choosing. Spaces are allowed; punctuation is not allowed except for periods, hyphens, and underscores (e.g., “johnsmith,” “j_smith,” “jane.smith,” “Peter Paul,” etc.).
2. A valid email address. All emails from the system will be sent to this address. The email address is not made public and will only be used if you wish to receive a new password or wish to receive certain news or notifications by email.
3. Your home parish
Click “Create new account.” Instructions and a password will be sent to the email address you provided.
To login, enter your username in the top box and your password in the box beneath it. Click “SIGN IN” or hit your Enter or Return key. The page will refresh, and your name will appear in the top right hand corner of the page. You are now logged in.
To log out, click the words “Log out” at the top right hand corner of any page.
Resetting your password
Now that you have logged in, you will need to reset your password to make it more secure.
1. Visit the User Login page, and click on the “Request new password” tab.
2. Enter your username or email address, then fill out the “Word verification” (this helps us prevent malicious users from gaining access to our website).
3. Click the “Email new password” button.
4. Check your email for further instructions to login to the website and reset your password.
Use this same procedure if you have forgotten your password and need to reset it.
Changing your account information
To edit your username, your email address, or to change your password, simply login to the website, then click the “Edit” tab. When you are finished making edits, scroll down to the bottom of the Edit form and click “Save.”