Corpus Christi, East Liberty
This parish is presently located at:
Corpus Christi was established as a mission of Holy Rosary parish in 1902. Mass during this time was celebrated in a private home. On January 25, 1903, Corpus Christi became an independent parish with the appointment of a resident pastor. Masses were then moved from a private home to a rented store room. Ground for a combined church and school building was broken on May 25, 1903, and the completed building was dedicated on November 29, 1903. The altar and pews for the new church came from the basement chapel of the old St. Paul Cathedral.
This temporary church served the parish for half a century. Work on a new church began in January of 1954 and the cornerstone was laid on July 11, 1954. The completed church was dedicated on June 11, 1955.
Beginning in mid century, the population of the city began to steadily drop. By the 1990's the city was unable to support the number of independent parishes in existence. In 1992, Corpus Christi merged with five other nearby parishes to form the new St. Charles Lwanga parish. Corpus Christi church was converted to the parish Pastoral Center and continues to serve the new parish.