Divine Redeemer, Ambridge
This parish is presently located at:
Divine Redeemer was founded as a Slovak ethnic parish in 1906. The origin of the parish can be traced to the growth of industry in Ambridge and the subsequent immigration of workers from Europe. On October 1, 1906, Bishop Regis Canevin granted permission for the formation of a Slovak parish in Ambridge. Initially, the parish was a mission of St. Veronica, Ambridge. Mass was celebrated in the basement of a privately owned building. On April 2, 1907, a resident pastor was appointed to Divine Redeemer. Land was purchased for a new church on June 17, 1910. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on May 30, 1918 and the completed church was dedicated on November 30, 1918.
The church was renovated twice, in 1949 and the early 1970's. However, as the growth of industry and its accompanying population led to the creation of the parish, the decline of industry and population near the end of the century led to its suppression. In 1994, the five Ambridge parishes were merged to create the new Good Samaritan parish. As part of this merger, Divine Redeemer church was closed on July 1, 1994.