Holy Cross, West Pittsburgh
This parish is presently located at:
Holy Cross was established in 1925. The origin of the parish can be traced to 1905, when workers of the Garland Manufacturing Company settled in West Pittsburg. Local Catholics had to travel to New Castle or Wampum to attend Mass. In 1907, the responsibility for West Pittsburg was assigned to St. Margaret Church in Mahoningtown (now part of New Castle). The pastor traveled to West Pittsburg once a month to celebrate Mass in the City Building. In 1925 Holy Cross Church was constructed. The parish remained a mission of St. Margaret.
In 1960, work began on the church facade and the next year work began on an addition of a classroom and sacristy to the existing building. The sanctuary was remodeled in the 1960's and new altars installed in the 1970's.
By the 1990's, the population of the New Castle area dropped to the point that the area could no longer support the number of churches in existence. In 1993, Holy Cross merged with four other parishes to form the new St. Vincent de Paul parish. At first, Holy Cross Church remained open and served the new parish. However, after the turn of the century, it became obvious that the parish could not support the number of churches they had. Holy Cross was identified as one of the churches that should be closed. On September 8, 2007, this church was closed.