Immaculate Conception

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Immaculate Conception

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.

Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 10:30 a.m.; 12:15, 4:00 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 6:30, 8:15 a.m.; 12:10 p.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.

10:00 am: Sacred Heart church building

Confessions:

Saturday: After 9:00 a.m. Mass; 5:00 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Church Building: Sacred Heart:


Claysville, PA 15323


School: John F. Kennedy:

111 W Spruce St
Washington, PA 15301
Phone: 724-225-1680
Fax: 724-225-4651

Church Buildings: Immaculate Conception:

119 W Chestnut St
Washington , PA 15301


Administrative Center:

119 W Chestnut St
Washington, PA 15301
Phone: 724-225-1425
Fax: 724-229-7946

Religious Education:

135 W Chestnut St
Washington , PA 15301
Phone: 724-225-0382


Clergy:

Rev. William P. Feeney, Pastor
Rev. George F. Chortos, In Residence
Deacon Jeffrey A. Hirst
Deacon Barry A. Krofcheck, Permanent Deacon

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

21001

Open Date:

1855

Neighborhoods Served:

Claysville
Washington

Parish Mission Statement

Immaculate Conception Parish, a Roman Catholic community centered in Washington, Pennsylvania, was dedicated August 16, 1855.

Jesus Christ calls us by Baptism, empowers us through the Holy Spirit, and nourishes us with the Holy Eucharist to proclaim the Gospel.

We seek to serve others through Celebration of the Sacraments, Worship, Education and Evangelization.

Our ministry involves Sacrifice and Personal Witness to all through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, our Patroness.


SPECIAL LITURGIES

Children's Liturgy

Children's Liturgy of the Word  is celebrated year round on Sundays at 9AM and 12:15 PM for children 4 yrs old thru 3rd grade.

College Students

Mass is celebrated at the W&J Newman Center(1 South College Street at Beau St. (Across from the Hub) Washington, PA 15301)Sundays at  7PM during the school year.


Parish History

Immaculate Conception was founded in 1855.  The origin of the parish can be traced back to 1831 when the first Mass was celebrated in the community.  For the next three years, the community was periodically visited by a nearby priest.  In 1834 the bishop in Philadelphia made Washington a mission station of St. Peter in Brownsville.  When St. James, West Alexander received a resident pastor in 1852, responsibility for Washington was transferred to that parish.  Shortly after this, work began on a church in Washington.

The church was completed and dedicated on August 26, 1855.  The pastor of St. James then took residence in Washington and St. James became a mission of Immaculate Conception.  The church was damaged by a fire in 1885.  The building was repaired and continued to be used by the parish for another 7 years.  The rising population made a larger church necessary.  This new church was dedicated in 1892.

This church, in turn, was damaged in a fire in 1924.  While the church was being repaired, Mass was celebrated in the school auditorium.  Although the church was repaired and the parish resumed services in it, the continually growing size of the congregation made a new church necessary.  Construction of the new church began in 1929 and the completed building was dedicated on September 1, 1930.  The old church was sold on October 1, 1946.  The stained glass windows of the church were installed in 1961.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Second Immaculate Conception Church, 1931
Immaculate Conception Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
Immaculate Conception Parish Map.pdf118.42 KB