Immaculate Heart of Mary

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

4:00 pm

Sunday

9:00 am

11:00 am

Weekdays

M-Sat. 8:00 am

1st Sat. 9:00 am

Holy Days

HV 6:30 pm

H 9:00 am

Confessions:

Monday - Saturday

Before Mass

Saturday

3:00 pm

Javascript is required to view this map.

Church Building:

3048 Brereton St
Pittsburgh, PA 15219


Administrative Center:

3058 Brereton St
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-621-5170
Fax: 412-621-7445


Clergy:

Rev. Joseph E. Swierczynski, Pastor

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

21401

Open Date:

1897

Ethnicity:

Polish

Neighborhoods Served:

Polish Hill

Parish History

Immaculate Heart of Mary was founded in 1897 as a Polish ethnic parish.  Beginning in 1885, Polish immigrants began settling on Herron Hill in Pittsburgh.  Eventually so many immigrants settled there that the area was renamed Polish Hill.  At first the residents attended St. Stanislaus parish in the Strip District, but by 1895, the population of Polish Hill grew to the point that a committee of local citizens petitioned the bishop for their own parish.  Permission was granted and the cornerstone of a combined church, school and convent was laid in October of 1896.  The completed building was dedicated on September 5, 1897.

The first floor of the building served as a school and the second floor served as the church.  In 1899 the parish purchased land for a larger church.  The cornerstone was laid on July 31, 1904 and the completed church was dedicated on December 3, 1905.  This church was modeled on St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.  This church still serves the community of Polish Hill today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Immaculate Heart of Mary, 1972
Altar, circa 1994

File Attachments: