Madonna of Czestochowa, New Castle
This parish is presently located at:
Madonna of Czestochowa parish was founded in 1902 as a Polish ethnic parish. The founding of the parish can be traced to the rise in immigrants from Poland in the previous decade. In 1902 a Polish delegation petitioned Bishop Richard Phelan for a new parish, which was granted. In that year, they also purchased a lot for their new church. Work was begun on the church in the spring of 1903 and the completed church was dedicated that fall.
This church has continued to serve the Catholic community since then. It has gone through several renovations over the years, including replacing the original Altar and adding aluminum siding.
While the church still survives, the original parish does not. Population loss in New Castle in the last half of the twentieth century made it impossible for the area to support the large number of existing parishes. In 1993, Madonna of Czestochowa was merged with St. Mary parish to form the new Mary, Mother of Hope parish. The Madonna of Czestochowa church building serves as a worship site for the new parish.