Most Blessed Sacrament, Natrona Heights
This parish is presently located at:
Most Blessed Sacrament was established on December 8, 1944. The origin of the parish can actually be traced back to the 1920's. The rise of industry in the area led to housing developments in Natrona Heights. The Catholics who moved there had to walk downhill to St. Joseph in Natrona to attend Mass. On April 14, 1927, the pastor purchased land on the Heights for a chapel for the Catholics living there. A chapel seating 250 people was built and dedicated on November 13, 1927, and named St. Joseph Chapel.
During World War II, the population of Natrona Heights boomed. By 1944 the attendance at the chapel grew to the point that an independent parish was practical. On December 8, 1944, the new parish was created, but not named until January 8, 1945, when the chapel was dedicated as Most Blessed Sacrament. The continued growth of the parish led to an enlargement of the church in 1947. The larger church was blessed on December 8, 1947.
Even with the expansion, the church soon proved to be inadequate. In 1953, work began on a combined church and school building. The cornerstone of the building was blessed on July 19, 1953, and the completed building was dedicated on May 31, 1954. The original church was torn down in September of 1954. The combined school and church building was later enlarged in 1958.
As the rise of industry in the first half of the twentieth century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of industry in the last half of the century led to its suppression. In 1992 Most Blessed Sacrament merged with Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish to form the new Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament parish. Most Blessed Sacrament Church remains open and serves the new parish.