Mother of Sorrows, Charleroi
This parish is presently located at:
Mother of Sorrows was founded in 1902 as an Italian ethnic parish. The parish was an outgrowth of the rise of heavy industry in the area and the subsequent rise of population to work in the factories. Among the immigrants to the area were Italians. By 1902, the Italian population had grown to the point that they could support an independent parish. In that year, property for a church was purchased and the completed church was dedicated on July 17, 1904.
This church served the community for fifty years. On March 6, 1955, ground was broken for a new combined church and school building. The completed building was dedicated on March 18, 1956. Shortly afterwards, the old church was sold.
Just as the rise of industry at the beginning of the century led to the creation of the parish, the collapse of that industry late in the century led to its suppression. In 1992, the three parishes in Charleroi were merged to form the new Mary, Mother of the Church parish. At first, Mother of Sorrows church remained open as a worship site of the new parish. But it soon became obvious that the congregation could not support three church buildings. On May 27, 1996, Mother of Sorrows church was closed by the parish.