Mother of Sorrows, McKees Rocks
This parish is presently located at:
Mother of Sorrows, an Italian ethnic parish, was founded in 1906. This parish was an outgrowth of the influx of Italians to the McKees Rocks area. At first, the local Italians held their services in the basement of St. Mary Help of Christians Church. The cornerstone for a church for the parish was laid on November 11, 1906. This church served the community until March 8, 1928 when it was destroyed in a fire. Until a new church could be built, services were held in local schools. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on September 15, 1929 and the church was dedicated on October 26, 1930.
On April 20, 1965, ground was broken for a new church, CCD center and convent and the cornerstone was laid on May 22, 1966. The new church was dedicated on May 21, 1967. As the century progressed, population loss in the McKees Rocks area made it untenable for the parish to remain independent. In 1993, the McKees Rocks parishes were merged and the new St. John of God parish was created. Mother of Sorrows church was maintained as a worship site for the new parish.