Our Lady of Lourdes
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00, 11:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M/W/Th 8:30 a.m.; Friday Communion service only; 8:30 a.m. T 7:00 Holy Days: Announced
Saturday: 11:00 a.m.
Administrative Center:1109 Main St
Burgettstown, PA 15201
Religious Education:1111 Main St
Burgettstown, PA 15021
Our Lady of Lourdes was founded in 1916. The origin of the parish can be traced to the rise of the coal industry beginning in 1910. As the mines opened, the population expanded. At first local Catholics had to travel to either St. Alphonsus in McDonald or to Steubenville, Ohio to attend Mass. In 1915, the Catholic community in Burgettstown sent a petition to the bishop asking that a parish be established. On July 15, 1915 an assistant to the pastor was sent to St. Alphonsus with instructions to organize a parish in Burgettstown. From July 1915 to May 1916, this priest traveled to Burgettstown once a week to celebrate Mass. In May 1916, the parish was formally established.
For the first two years of its existence, the parish used rented commercial facilities to celebrate Mass. On May 5, 1918, the cornerstone for a combined church and school was laid. On December 8, 1918, the basement church was dedicated. In 1924, the upper two floors of the building were completed for use as a school. However, the school did not open until September 1942.
In December 1955, ground was broken for a new church. This church was dedicated on February 11, 1957. The old combined church and school building remained in use as a school until 2006, but continues to serve as a Religious Education Center. Both buildings continue to serve the congregation today.