Presentation of the B.V.M, Midland
This parish is presently located at:
Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in 1912. Both the town of Midland and the parish can trace their foundation to the building of the Midland Steel Co. plant in 1906. The first Mass in Midland was celebrated in the dining room of the Orchard Hotel on December 16, 1906. At first, Midland was a mission of Ss. Peter and Paul parish in Beaver. On July 22, 1907, an old school building was purchased and converted into a church. By 1912, the population of the town grew enough to make it practical for the church to become an independent parish. In July of that year, the parish was formally established and a resident pastor assigned.
In 1913, the parish began work on a new church hall. However, as it became obvious that the existing church was too small to accommodate the growing congregation, the church hall was converted to a church. The original church building was then used as church hall until near the end of the decade when it was torn down. This church served the parish through the 1950's. On May 1, 1960, ground was broken for a new church building. On April 16, 1961, the cornerstone for the church was laid and on November 11, 1961, the church was dedicated.
As the rise of industry in the area led to the creation of the parish, the demise of industry in the 1980's and 1990's led to its suppression. Population loss in the area during this time period mandated a consolidation of parishes. In 1994, Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Christine in Industry were merged and a new parish, St. Blaise, was created. However, the Presentation church building is still open and used as a worship site by St. Blaise.