Sacred Heart, Braddock Hills
This parish is presently located at:
Sacred Heart was established as a Polish parish in 1897. Before the parish was founded, Poles living in Braddock Hills attended St. Michael parish in Braddock. Beginning in 1895, a group of local Poles formed a committee to organize a parish. Their work bore fruit in January of 1897 when the bishop gave his permission for the formation of the parish.
In January a lot with two buildings on it was purchased by the congregation. One of the buildings was converted to a church which was dedicated in February of 1897. The parish quickly outgrew this church and in 1902 they purchased additional land for a new church. Work on the church began in 1904. The cornerstone was laid on August 14, 1904, and the completed church was dedicated on August 27, 1905. The original church was sold shortly afterwards.
The church was extensively renovated in the 1950's. Disaster struck the parish on December 19, 1975, when the church was destroyed in a fire. The pastor made arrangements with St. Isidore and St. Michael in Braddock to celebrate Mass in their churches until a new Sacred Heart Church could be built. Ground for a new church was broken on November 8, 1981. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on August 14, 1982, and the church was formally dedicated on February 13, 1983.