Sacred Heart, Claysville
This parish is presently located at:
Sacred Heart was founded in 1875. The origin of the parish can actually be traced to the founding of St. James parish in nearby West Alexandria in 1821. St. James was founded in response to the influx of workers to build the National Pike. A small log church was built to serve the small Catholic congregation. Until 1837, the church was visited periodically from Wheeling. Beginning in 1837, St. James became a mission of St. Peter in Brownsville. In the late 1840's, the log church was replaced by a brick structure.
By 1873, the church had deteriorated to the point that it was becoming unsafe to use. Because the bulk of the congregation now lived in Claysville, it was decided to close St. James and to build a new church in Claysville. Work on the new church began in 1873 and the completed church was dedicated as Sacred Heart on September 25, 1875. The old St. James church was torn down, although the pews were kept for use in the new church.
The new parish was made a mission of Immaculate Conception, Washington. This arrangement continued for over a century. As part of the Diocesan Reorganization and Revitalization in 1993, Sacred Heart was discontinued as an independent parish and was merged with Immaculate Conception. However, Sacred Heart church remains open and serves as a worship site for Immaculate Conception.