Sacred Heart, McKeesport
This parish is presently located at:
Sacred Heart was founded in 1906 as a Croatian ethnic parish. The parish was created in response to a petition to the Bishop from a committee of Croatians living in McKeesport. On December 1, 1906, the parish purchased a church on Jenny Lind Street previously used by the First Swedish Baptist Union. The church was renovated and the first Mass was celebrated on March 11, 1907.
This church was used until 1925, when a new school was completed for the parish. The top floor of the school was set aside as a church. The original church was sold in 1928 to the Greek Orthodox parish in McKeesport. Services were held in the school until the mid 1950's when a new church was built. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on May 30, 1955 and the completed church was dedicated on May 27, 1956.
As the rise in population at the beginning of the century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of population at the end of the century led to its closing. In 1993 Sacred Heart and two other McKeesport parishes merged as the new St. Martin de Porres parish. At first Sacred Heart Church remained open to serve the new parish. However, after the turn of the century, it became obvious that the new parish could not support more than one church building. As a result, Sacred Heart Church closed on September 23, 2007.