Saint Agnes, Oakland
This parish is presently located at:
St. Agnes parish was founded in 1868. For the first five years Mass was celebrated in temporary quarters while a new church was being built. The first St. Agnes church was dedicated on December 21, 1873 at 2400 Fifth Ave. This first church was intended to be a temporary structure that would be replaced by a more permanent building. This second building was dedicated on December 15, 1889.
In 1905 the parish purchased two acres of property at the corner of Fifth Ave. and Robinson St.. On this property, the parish planned to build a new church, school and rectory. On January 21, 1914, a fire destroyed St. Agnes Church. The cornerstone for the current church building was laid on March 5, 1916 and the finished building was dedicated on January 28, 1917.
As the century came to a close, population loss in the city led to a diocesan study on the viability of existing parishes. As part of the Diocesan reorganization and revitalization, St. Agnes was closed in 1993. The church building was later sold to Carlow College.