Saint Aloysius

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Aloysius

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: 8:30 a.m. St. Anthony Chapel, Troy Hill

Confessions:

Saturday: 3:00 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

1700 Harpster St
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: 412-231-2994

Administrative Center: Most Holy Name of Jesus:

1700 Harpster Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212-4393
Phone: 412-821-2351
Fax: 412-821-6480


Clergy:

Rev. James R. Orr, Pastor
Deacon Gregory Jelinek

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

01901

Open Date:

1892

Neighborhoods Served:

Reserve Township

Parish History

St. Aloysius was established in 1892.  Before the organization of the parish, local Catholics had to travel to Most Holy Name parish on Troy Hill to attend Mass, or, for the children, to attend school.  Because of the difficulties in traveling to Troy Hill, particularly in winter, local Catholics decided that they needed a church of their own.  On November 26, 1891, the first organizational meeting for a new parish was held.  In 1892, a petition was sent to the bishop asking for permission to form a new parish.  On April 12, 1892, the bishop visited the area, inspected the site chosen for the church and gave his permission to build the church.

Plans were made to construct a building that would hold not only the church, but also a school and a residence for a priest.  The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 10, 1892 and the completed building was dedicated on January 8, 1893.  At first the parish was a mission of Most Holy Name but a resident pastor was assigned in June of 1893.

In 1905, a new rectory was built.  The space in the building that had been used as the rectory was converted into a convent.  By 1919, the church building was in need of extensive repairs.  The existing steeple was replaced and the facade of the building was remodeled.  In 1921, the interior of the church was also redecorated.  The church was again renovated in 1947.

By the 1950's, the parish had expanded to the point that it needed a new church and school.  On May 5, 1957, ground was broken for a new church and school building.  The cornerstone was laid on July 10, 1957, and the completed building was dedicated on October 4, 1958.  During this time, the old church/school building was demolished.

In 1980, the interior of the church was renovated and new stained glass windows installed.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Aloysius, 2001
Altar of St. Aloysius, 2001

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Aloysius Parish Map.pdf153.95 KB