Saint Alphonsus, McDonald

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:30 a.m.

Weekdays: M, W, F: 8:00 a.m.

Holy Days: As scheduled

Confessions:

Saturday: 3:00 – 3:45 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

219 W Lincoln Ave
McDonald, PA 15057
Phone: 724-926-2160

Administrative Center:

219 W Lincoln Ave
McDonald, PA 15057
Phone: 724-926-2984
Fax: 724-926-9251


Clergy:

Rev. Benedetto P. Vaghetto, JCL, Pastor
Deacon Leon F. Miles

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

02201

Open Date:

1892

Neighborhoods Served:

McDonald

Parish History

St. Alphonsus was founded in 1892.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of workers to labor in the local coal mines and oil fields.  In 1892 the pastor of St. Patrick, Noblestown came to McDonald to organize the new congregation.  Land was purchased for a church and on July 31, 1892, the cornerstone of the new church was laid.  The completed church was dedicated on May 14, 1893.  This church did last long, however.  On February 25, 1900, a fire broke out in the church and completely destroyed the building.  Construction of a new church was begun in March 1900.  The cornerstone was laid on July 15, 1900 and the completed structure was dedicated on June 16, 1901.

The church was initially a mission of St. Patrick, Noblestown until 1907 when the first resident pastor arrived at the parish.  The church was renovated in 1926 and in 1984.  The church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Alphonsus church, 1933
Rear view of church, 1933
Interior of church, 1933
Interior of church, 1933

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Alphonsus Parish Map, McDonald.pdf161.25 KB