Saint Ann, New Galilee
This parish is presently located at:
St. Ann was founded in 1922. Before that year, the Catholics of New Galilee were periodically visited by a priest from St. Rose of Lima, Darlington. At other times, they traveled to St. Rose or to Beaver Falls or Ohio to attend services. At first, Mass was held in private residences. When Lombardy Hall was built around 1919, this building was used to celebrate Mass. In 1922 a meeting of local Catholics made plans to build their own church. In March of that year, land was purchased for the church. Ground was broken for the church on June 19, 1923. Although the church had not yet been completed, the first Mass in the new building was celebrated on June 29, 1924. Despite the fact that the bell tower was not yet completed, the church was dedicated on November 16, 1924. The tower was completed two years later and the bell was blessed on June 22, 1926. The parish was a mission of St. Rose. In 1948 the church was extensively remodeled.
By the end of the century, the population of the area dropped significantly. In 1994, the decision was made to merge St. Ann with St. Rose. The church remained open for awhile after the merger but was attendance continued to stagnate. By January 21, 2001, Masses were no longer regularly scheduled in the church. After a study by the parish pastoral and financial councils, the decision was made to close the church. The final Mass of the church was celebrated on June 3, 2001.