Saint Anne, Homestead
This parish is presently located at:
St. Anne was founded as a Slovak parish in 1915. The origin of the parish can be traced back to 1909, however. In that year, a group of Catholics broke away from St. Michael the Archangel Parish and formed their own independent congregation. In April of 1915, the diocese decided to form a new parish for the independent group and assigned a resident pastor. The independent congregation purchased the First Methodist Church in 1909. The church was formally dedicated in June of 1916. This church was destroyed in a fire on November 20, 1920.
While the parish raised funds for a new church, Sunday Mass was celebrated in St. Francis Church, Munhall and daily Mass was celebrated in St. Anthony School. Work on the new church began in March of 1921. The basement was completed in December of 1921 and the first Mass was celebrated there on Christmas Day. Work continued on the church and the completed church was dedicated on November 19, 1922. This church served the congregation until 1941, when it was purchased and torn down by the Defense Plant Corporation to make room for the expansion of the Homestead Steel Works. The parish purchased new property and built a temporary church there. The first Mass in the temporary church was celebrated on November 16, 1941.
Work on a permanent church had to wait until the end of World War II. On Sunday April 18, 1948, ground for the new church was broken. The cornerstone was blessed on June 18, 1950, and the completed church was dedicated on July 16, 1950.
By the end of the twentieth century, the population of Homestead had dropped to the point that it could no longer support the number of parishes then in existence. In 1992, St. Anne merged with five other parishes to form the new St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish. St. Anne Church remained open along with three other churches to serve the new parish.
However, the parish found that it could not financially support four church buildings. The parish began a three year study in June of 2006 to determine how many churches it could support. The study concluded that the parish could only support one church and made the decision to make St. Anne that church. On November 1, 2009, the other three churches were closed and St. Anne was renamed St. Maximilian Kolbe. The final Mass at St. Anne Church under the name St. Anne was celebrated on October 25, 2009.