Saint Anthony, Homestead
This parish is presently located at:
St. Anthony was founded in 1899 as a Polish ethnic parish. The parish was created to serve the Polish immigrants to the area. Work on the church began on September 12, 1899, and the finished building was dedicated on February 25, 1900. The first floor of the church served as school while the second floor was used as the church.
In the early 1940's, the church had to give way to mill expansion. The cornerstone of a new church was laid on May 10, 1942 and the church was dedicated before the end of the year.
As the growth of industry at the end of the nineteenth century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of industry at the end of the twentieth century led to the end of the parish. In 1992 St. Anthony merged with seven other parishes to form St. Maximilian Kolbe parish. However, St. Anthony church remained open along with three other churches and served as a worship site for the new parish.
However, the parish quickly discovered that it could not financially support four church buidlings. The parish began a three year study in June of 2006 to determine the number of churches it could support. The study concluded that they should close three churches and only retain one. St. Anthony was one of the churches chosen to close. The parish closed the church on November 1, 2009.