Saint Bernadette

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Bernadette

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m., Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 7:00 p.m., Weekdays: T/W/Th/F 7:15 a.m.; M/W/F 9:30 a.m.;

M 7:00 p.m.; Sat 8:30 a.m.

Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 7:15, 9:30 a.m.; 12:00 noon, 7:00 p.m.

Confessions:

Monday 6:00-6:45 p.m.

Saturday: 9:00-9:30 a.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education Office:

245 Azalea Drive
Monroeville, PA 15146
Phone: 412.373.1797
Fax: 412.374.8113

Convent - Saint Bernadette:

245 Azalea Dr
Monroeville , PA 15146
Phone: 412.372.7263

School - Saint Bernadette:

245 Azalea Dr
Monroeville, PA 15146
Phone: 412.373.7255
Fax: 412.372.7649

Administrative Center:

245 Azalea Dr
Monroeville, PA 15146
Phone: 412.373.0050
Fax: 412.374.8113


Clergy:

Rev. Anthony Gargotta, Pastor
Deacon Michael W. Kelly

Parish Staff:

Rege Reinersmann, Business Manager
Sister Carol Arch, CSJ, Principal
Marlene V Kopper, Director of Religious Education
Lauren Gates, Youth Minister
Joshua Bandish, Director of Music Ministries

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

07201

Open Date:

1955

Neighborhoods Served:

Monroeville

PARISH MISSION STATEMENT

We of St. Bernadette Parish, are a Eucharistic Community, created by the Father, nourished by the Lord and led by the Holy Spirit.  We are to be the eyes, ears, hands and heart of Christ, living by His example, sharing the Good News in word and deed.

Parish History

St. Bernadette was established on June 15, 1955.  The founding of the parish was a result of the movement of population from the cities to the suburbs following World War II.  In the 1940's, the Catholics in Monroeville (then called Patton Township) attended Mother of Sorrows Church in Murrysville in Westmoreland County.  When the Diocese of Greensburg was formed in 1951, Westmoreland County became part of the new diocese.  The bishop gave local Catholics permission to continue attending Mother of Sorrows temporarily.  Some local residents did so, while others joined St. Colman parish in Turtle Creek.

In June of 1952, local Catholics held a meeting and formed the Monroeville Catholic Guild.  The purpose of the organization was to arrange for catechism classes for the children and to lay the groundwork for a new parish.  The Guild conducted a survey to determine the number of Catholics in the area and made arrangements with the owners of a local nightclub, the Majestic Gardens, to use their facilities for catechism classes.  By 1955 the population of Monroeville had grown to the point that the bishop canonically established the new parish.

The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated on June 19, 1955, in the Majestic Gardens.  This building was used by the parish for Sunday Masses for two years until a church could be completed.  Anticipating that the population would continue to grow, the parish decided to construct a building that would include classrooms and a temporary church.  Construction of the new building began in late 1956 and the cornerstone was laid on June 9, 1957.  The completed building was dedicated on September 28, 1957.  The first floor served as the temporary church and the second floor contained four classrooms.

In September of 1961 an addition was made to the church/school building bringing the number of classrooms up to sixteen.  By the middle of the 1960's, the parish was ready to build a new, permanent church.  Construction of the new church began in October of 1966.  The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on December 14, 1968, although the building was not yet completed.  The cornerstone was laid on December 22, 1968, and the completed church was dedicated on September 27, 1969. 

In January of 1975, the church spire was damaged in a storm.  The damage was repaired in March.  In 1980, the interior of the church was remodeled.  The church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Bernadette Church, 2002
Altar of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Bernadette Parish Map.pdf140.8 KB