Saint Brendan, Braddock
This parish is presently located at:
St. Brendan was established on May 16, 1891. The founding of the parish was a result of the growth of industry and the subsequent growth of population in Braddock. The first Mass in the new parish was celebrated in a hotel room in May of 1891. The hotel was used for Mass until the new church was built. Land for a church was soon purchased and work on the building quickly began. The cornerstone was laid on November 9, 1891, and the completed church was dedicated on June 5, 1893. The building consisted of both a church and a school. The church occupied the lower floor and four classrooms occupied the upper floor.
In response to the growth of the congregation, six additional class rooms were added to the building in 1923. In 1936 the interior of the church was renovated. The sanctuary was rebuilt and a new altars added.
While the rise of population in Braddock in the nineteenth century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of population in the area in the twentieth century led to its suppression. Braddock had been steadily losing industry and population since the middle of the century. In 1982, the Edgar Thompson Works of U. S. Steel closed, causing a major loss of income and people to the area. Beginning in 1983, the diocese conducted a study of the situation in Braddock. The study determined that all six parishes in Braddock should be merged to form a new parish. This happened in 1985 and Good Shepherd parish was created. St. Brendan Church was closed and later sold.