Saint Casimir, South Side
This parish is presently located at:
St. Casimir, the first Lithuanian parish in the diocese, was founded in 1893. The parish was the outgrowth of the influx of Lithuanian immigrants to work in the area mills. In 1891 a committee of local Lithuanians appointed a committee to pursue the establishment of parish. In 1893, St. Casimir was founded. At first, services were held in the basement of St. Paul Cathedral. In the fall of 1893, the parish purchased an old Protestant church on Carson Street. This church was dedication on February 11, 1894. Within a few years, the parish bought a lot on Sarah Street for the building of a new church. In 1900, the parish abandoned the first church and conducted services temporarily in the new school building. By 1902, St. Casimir church was completed and dedicated on June 27, 1902.
This church served the community for over 80 years. However, due to population loss in the South Side, it was no longer practical to maintain all of the South Side parishes as independent entities. In 1992, the South Side parishes were merged and the new Prince of Peace parish was created. St. Casimir church was closed as part of this merger.