Saint Catherine of Siena, Beechview

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Catherine of Siena, Beechview

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 11:00 a.m. and 1 pm (Spanish)

Weekdays: M-S 8:45 a.m.

Holy Days: HV 4:00 p.m.; H 9:30 a.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 12:00 noon-12:30 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

1810 Belasco Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Phone: 412-531-2135

Convent:

1810 Belasco Ave Rear
Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Phone: 412-531-0380

Administrative Center:

1810 Belasco Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Phone: 412-531-2135
Fax: 412-531-8543


Clergy:

Rev. James M. Bachner, Pastor
Rev. Gary W. Oehmler, MDiv, Parochial Vicar
Rev. Fernando Torres, LC, Parochial Vicar
Deacon Mark S. Bibro
Deacon Thomas J. O`Neill
Deacon Richard A. Longo

Parish Staff:

Nancy Spinneweber, RELIGIOUS EDUCATION DIRECTOR
Julianna Haag, MUSIC MINISTER

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

08801

Open Date:

1902

Neighborhoods Served:

Beechview

Parish History

St. Catherine parish was established in 1902.  The origin of the parish can be traced back to 1891, when the pastor of St. James, West End, built a church in Beechview for the local Catholics.  For a decade, this church was a mission of St. James.  In 1902, St. Catherine was established as an independent parish and a resident pastor was assigned. 

In 1904, the Mt. Washington Streetcar Tunnel opened, providing a direct link between downtown Pittsburgh and the South Hills.  This led to a rapid population growth of the parish.  By the end of the decade, the parish outgrew its church and a new church was built in 1910.  This church soon proved inadequate as well.  In 1914, work began on a combination church and school.  The basement of the building served as a church and the upper floor as classrooms.  The new building opened in 1915.  The church was enlarged in the mid 1920's.

The parish continued to grow over the years.  In the 1950's, the parish began acquiring additional property.  By 1961, the parish purchased the last piece of property needed to build a new church.  Groundbreaking for the new church took place on October 14, 1961.  The completed church was dedicated on April 30, 1963.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Catherine Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Catherine of Siena Parish Map, Beechview.pdf111.98 KB