Saint Catherine of Siena, Crescent
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00, 11:30 a.m.
Weekdays: M/T/Th/F 8:30 a.m.
Holy Days: As scheduled
½ hour before and after 4:00 p.m. Mass
St. Catherine was established on June 10, 1959. However, the origin of the parish can be traced back to the beginning of the century. In the year 1900, the parish of St. Joseph was established in Coraopolis. The pastor of that parish began visiting the area once a month to celebrate Mass, either in a private home or in a hotel in Wireton. On May 8, 1907, land was purchased for a church. On March 13, 1910, a committee was formed to raise funds for a church. Work began on the church in the spring of that year and the first Mass was celebrated on August 5, 1910. The church was initially a mission of St. Joseph, but in 1913 it became a mission of Ss. Peter and Paul in Beaver. In 1917 the church became a mission of St. Joseph, Coraopolis.
On January 15, 1919, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor. However, this status did not last long. In 1922, St. Catherine became a mission of St. Mary, Beaver Falls and, later in the year, of St. Joseph, Aliquippa. St. Catherine remained a mission of St. Joseph until the establishment of the parish of Our Lady of Fatima in June of 1954. At that time, St. Catherine became a mission of Our Lady of Fatima.
On August 25, 1957, the church was struck by fire. The building was completely rebuilt and enlarged. Finally, on June 10, 1959, St. Catherine became an independent parish with the appointment of a resident pastor.