Saint Catherine of Sweden

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Catherine of Sweden

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 7:30, 9:15, 11:00 a.m.; 6:00 p.m.

Weekdays: M/T/W/F 9:30 a.m.; Th Morning Prayer 9:30 a.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 noon

Javascript is required to view this map.

School: Saint Catherine of Sweden Preschool:

2554 Wildwood Rd
Allison Park, PA 15101
Phone: 412-486-6001
Fax: 412-486-6004

Parish Office:

2554 Wildwood Rd
Allison Park, PA 15101
Phone: 412-486-6001
Fax: 412-486-6004


Clergy:

Rev. Steven V. Neff, Pastor
Deacon Clifford M. Homer, Sr.
Transitional Deacon David W. Green

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

08701

Open Date:

1953

Neighborhoods Served:

Hampton Township
Wildwood

Mission Statement:

Saint Catherine of Sweden Parish is a warm and welcoming Catholic family bringing Christ's love alive through faithful service and vibrant liturgy for every seeker of truth.

Parish History

St. Catherine was established in 1953.  However, the origin of the parish stretched back to 1934.  In that year, the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) opened a Sunday School for local children on September 30, 1934.  The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who lacked access to an existing church.  In 1943, the local Catholics petitioned the bishop for permission to build their own church.  Permission was granted to build a church when possible.

Up until this time, Catholics in Wildwood had to travel to St. Ursula in Allison Park to attend Mass.  In late 1943, a room in an old public school was rented to use for catechetical instruction and celebrating Mass.  The first Mass was celebrated on December 12, 1943.  In 1947, work began on a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on September 28, 1947, and the completed church was dedicated on September 12, 1948.  The parish's status was changed from a mission to an independent parish on June 18, 1953, with the appointment of a resident pastor.

As the century progressed, the population of the area continued to grow.  Despite part of the parish territory being transferred to the new parish of St. Richard in 1992, the congregation had outgrown its church by the end of the century.  Fund raising for a new church began in the late 1990's.  Ground was broken for a new church on July 20, 2003 and the new church was dedicated on October 2, 2004.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

The first St. Catherine Church, 2002
Altar of the first church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Catherine of Sweden Parish Map.pdf165.64 KB