Saint Colman

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:00 noon; 5:30 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:30 a.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 12:00 noon-12:45 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

100 Triboro Ave
Turtle Creek, PA 15145
Phone: 412-823-9114

Administrative Center:

100 Triboro Ave
Turtle Creek, PA 15145
Phone: 412-823-2564/412-823-2568
Fax: 412-823-6350


Clergy:

Rev. James E. Kunkel, Pastor
Deacon Herbert E. Riley Jr.

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

10601

Open Date:

1882

Neighborhoods Served:

Turtle Creek

Parish History

St. Colman was established in 1882.  The parish was formed to meet the needs of the small Catholic community of Turtle Creek and the surrounding area.  The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated in a local public school.  Later, Masses were offered in Black's Hall.  The parish purchased land and soon afterwards built a frame church.  The date of the church's construction is not known.  In 1887, the church was modified to enable the parish to open a school by converting the lower floor of the building to four classrooms.

With the growth of industry in the area, the congregation began to grow.  In 1889, the congregation decided that a new church was needed.  Ground for a new church was broken in 1900.  The cornerstone was laid on June 2, 1901, and the completed church was dedicated on May 10. 1903.  The old church was converted to a school.  It was torn down in 1928 to make room for a new school.

The church served the parish for 70 years.  By 1975, the church was in need of extensive repairs and renovation.  The parish initiated a study that year to determine whether the church should be repaired or a new church built.  A fire in the church on January 4, 1976, followed by a lightning strike on the building a few months later decided the issue.  Demolition of the church began in March of 1977.  While the church was being torn down and a new church built on the site, Masses were moved to the school.

Ground for the new church was broken on May 1, 1977, and the cornerstone was laid on October 16, 1977.  The completed church was dedicated on May 14, 1978.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Second St. Colman Church, 1933

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Colman Parish Map.pdf130.95 KB