Saint Columbkille

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 6:30 p.m.

Sunday: 7:00 a.m.; 9:00 a.m.; 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M/T/Th/F 8:00 a.m.; W 7:15 p.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 12:00 Noon-1:00 p.m. – Sept.-Apr.; 12:00 Noon-12:30 p.m. – May-Aug.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

103 Church Rd
Imperial, PA 15126
Phone: 724-695-2146

Administrative Center:

103 Church Rd
Imperial, PA 15126
Phone: 724-695-7325/724-65-0425
Fax: 724-695-9202


Clergy:

Rev. Paul W. Merkovsky, Administrator (pro-tem)

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

10801

Open Date:

1908

Neighborhoods Served:

Imperial

Parish History

St. Columbkille was established in 1908.  The origin of the parish can be traced back to the rise of the Imperial district in the 1890's and 1900's.  The first Mass celebrated in Imperial took place in a private residence in 1897.  For the next eight years, the area was infrequently visited by priests from nearby parishes who celebrated Mass in private homes or halls in Imperial.  In 1905, the pastor of St. John, Monaca established a mission in Imperial and began work on a church, which was dedicated on August 15, 1905.  Mass was offered in the church once a month.

By 1908 the population of the Imperial area had grown to the point that the community could support an independent parish.  The parish was established in August of 1908.  By the mid 1940's the congregation had outgrown its church.  Not only was the church too small, but it was also in need of major repairs.  Rather than renovate the church, the parish sold the building with the understanding that it would be removed.  Until a new church could be built, the parish hall, a former school building, was converted to a temporary church.  Work on a combined church and school building began in the early 1950's.  The completed building was dedicated on August 16, 1953.  The hall, which had served as the temporary church, was later torn down in 1958.

The church was renovated in the mid-1960's.  Additional improvements were made in 1982, 1985 and 1989.  The church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Columbkille Church, 1940
Interior of first church, 1940
Second St. Columbkille Church, 1940
St. Columbkille Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Columbkille Parish Map.pdf122.37 KB