Saint Elizabeth, Lawrence
This parish is presently located at:
St. Elizabeth was founded in 1920. The origin of this parish can be traced to the opening of a coal mine in 1915. As the mine brought people to live in the town (called Hills Station at that time), the number of Catholics grew. In 1917, the local residents contacted the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine for help. In response, the chaplain of Mayview and Woodville was given the responsibility for the community in Lawrence. On April 1, 1917, the first Mass in Lawrence was celebrated in the local public school. Around 1919, responsibility for the area was assigned to St. Anthony in Bridgeville.
On May 6, 1920, St. Elizabeth became a parish with the assignment of a resident pastor. However, resident pastor is a misleading term. The parish did not have a rectory and the pastor had to live at St. Mary of Mercy in Pittsburgh. Subsequently, work began on a church, which was dedicated on April 10, 1921. The brick facade was added in 1932.
The parish had its own pastor until October 13, 1926. After that date, the parish again became the responsibility of the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. This continued until 1944, when the parish again was assigned a pastor.
By the end of the century, the congregation dropped to the point that it was no longer feasible to maintain the parish. In 1993, St. Elizabeth parish was suppressed. The church was then subsequently sold.