Saint Elizabeth, Strip District
This parish is presently located at:
St. Elizabeth, founded in 1895, was the first Slovak parish in the City of Pittsburgh and the second Slovak parish in the diocese. Before the founding of St. Elizabeth, Pittsburgh Slovaks either attended the Bohemian St. Wenceslaus or attended special Masses in the basement of St. Paul Cathedral. In 1894 the Slovaks began fund raising to establish a Slovak church. On December 12, 1894, Rytier Hall at 15th Street and Penn Avenue was purchased for a church and on October 27, 1895 St. Elizabeth was dedicated.
On May 29, 1907 the U. S. Post Office purchased the church property. In February 1908 construction began on a new church at 1620 Penn Avenue. The church was dedicated on August 2, 1908. In 1993, this parish was merged with St. Patrick and St. Stanislaus Kostka as part of the diocese's revitalization and reorganization plan.