Saint Eugene, Liberty Borough
This parish is presently located at:
St. Eugene was established on June 10, 1959. The origin of the parish can be traced back to November 9, 1954, when a group of local Catholics met to make plans to have a church in Liberty Boro. In February of 1955, the diocese purchased land in Liberty Boro for a church. Two years later, on June 13, 1957, the bishop made Liberty Boro a mission of St. Peter, McKeesport. Three days later, the first Mass of the mission was celebrated at the Mother's Club. Two years later, on June 10, 1959, St. Eugene was made an independent parish. On June 19, 1960, ground was broken for a new church that would also include a Catechetical Center. The cornerstone was laid on March 26, 1961, and the first Mass was celebrated in the church on August 13, 1961. The completed building was dedicated on May 6, 1962.
As the century wound down, the population of the area began to drop. By the 1990's the population had fallen to the point that the parish could no longer exist as an independent entity. In 1993, St. Eugene merged with St. Joseph, Port Vue to form the new St. Mark Parish. St. Eugene remains open and serves the new parish.