Saint Gregory

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Gregory

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m., Sunday: 8:00, 11:30 a.m.

Weekdays: M/Th 8:00 a.m.; T 6:00 p.m.; F 9:00 a.m.

Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 12:05 p.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 12:00 noon; following 5:00 p.m. Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

2 W Beaver St
Zelienople, PA 16063
Phone: 724-452-7245
Fax: 724-452-4064

Religious Education:

2 W Beaver St
Zelienople, PA 16063
Phone: 724-452-7245

School: Saint Gregory:

115 Pine St
Zelienople, PA 16063
Phone: 724-452-9731
Fax: 724-452-4064


Clergy:

Rev. James G. Young, MDiv, Administrator

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

16001

Open Date:

1906

Neighborhoods Served:

Zelienople

Parish History

St. Gregory was founded in 1906.  The impetus for the establishment of the parish was the growth in population of Zelienople in the prior ten years.  Before the parish was founded, priests visited the area from either Butler or Herman and celebrated Mass in private homes.  Construction of a church began in 1906.  While the church was under construction, Mass was celebrated in a local school.  On September 30, 1906, the new church was dedicated.

In 1919, the church was enlarged with the addition of a bell tower, vestibule and choir loft.  The church was remodeled again in 1938 with the installation of stained glass windows and an organ.

On May 15, 1966, ground was broken for a new church.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on October 13, 1967 and the completed church was dedicated on December 10, 1967.  The last Mass in the old church was celebrated on September 15, 1967.  The church was torn down shortly afterwards.

As time went on, the population of the area began a steady decline.  By the early twenty-first century, the area could no longer support the number of parishes in existence.  On July 1, 2016, St. Gregory Parish absorbed the nearby St. Matthias Parish, Evans City.  Both churches remained open after the merger.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Gregory Church, 1931
St. Gregory Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Gregory Parish Map 070116.pdf110.36 KB