Saint Hyacinth, Oakland
This parish is presently located at:
St. Hyacinth was established as a Polish parish in 1916. Before the parish was founded, the Polish residents of Oakland attended St. Stanislaus in the Strip District. In 1916, a group of Poles living in Oakland petitioned the bishop for permission to form their own parish. The petition was granted on August 10, 1916. Until a church could be built, Mass was celebrated in a rented hall. The parish purchased land in February of 1917 and work on a combined church and school building began shortly afterwards. The cornerstone of the building was laid on April 29, 1917, and the completed church/school was dedicated on October 28, 1917. The building was actually a school which included an auditorium which was to be used as temporary church. The original plans for the parish called for them to build a separate church at a later date. However, these plans never came to fruition. The temporary church is still in use today.
Over the years, the church was restored and renovated. Work on the church took place in the late 1940's, the mid-1950's, 1960, the late 1960's, the mid-1970's and the mid-1980's. By the 1990's, the population of the city had dropped to the point that the city could no longer support the number of independent parishes in existence. In 1993, St. Hyacinth merged with St. Regis parish. The new parish retained the name St. Regis. St. Hyacinth Church remains open and continues to serve the new parish.