Saint James the Apostle

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
[title]

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 pm - January, March, May, July, September, November

Sunday: 8:45 a.m.

Weekdays: Tuesday – 8:30 A.M.

Confessions:

Sat. (odd months) – 3:00 – 3:30 P.M.; Tues. – Following 8:30 A.M. Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Church Building:

4019 US 422
Pulaski, PA 16143


Religious Education:

4019 US 422
Pulaski, PA 16143
Phone: 724-964-8276

Administrative Center:

4019 US 422
Pulaski, PA 16143
Phone: 724-964-8276
Fax: 724-964-1108


Clergy:

Very Rev. Philip N. Farrell, VE, MA, MDiv, Priest Director
Deacon John J. Carran, Deacon Administrator
Rev. Joseph B. Codori, Sacramental Minister

Parish Staff:

Sister Zoe AnnReiter, Director of Adult Formation
Jean Pascale, Office Manager
MamieDenehy, Secretary/Safe Environment Coordinator
VickiPavalko, Religious Education Coordinator
Tom Franzak, Director of Music
Mary AnnIsaac, Parish Social Minister
LorrieMillette, Parish Bookkeeper

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

22601

Open Date:

1949

Neighborhoods Served:

New Bedford
Pulaski Township

We, the Roman Catholic Parish family of Saint James the Apostle, because of our faith in Jesus Christ and our love for one another,  commit ourselves to serve God and each other by: ►Inviting people to worship with us, ►Recognizing the gifts and talents of everyone, ►Reaching out to the less fortunate, ►Respecting all individuals, ►Educating ourselves and others in the Catholic Christian faith, ►Committing ourselves to implement this vision of faith.  

Parish History

St. James was established in April of 1949.  This church is a revival of an earlier St. James parish.  The original St. James was founded in 1847.  The origin of the that parish can be traced to 1838, when the first known Mass was celebrated in the town by a priest visiting from Pittsburgh.  These visits continued, irregularly at first, but eventually once a month.  Until 1847, Mass was celebrated in private homes.  In 1847 responsibility for New Bedford  passed to Ss. Peter and Paul in Beaver.  The pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul built a church on donated land in New Bedford that was dedicated as St. James the Apostle.  In 1854, the mission transferred to St. Mary in New Castle.

Other events were taking place at this time that would affect the parish.  The individual who donated the land for the church made an additional land donation for an orphanage, which is now Villa Maria.  A building for the orphans was erected and some were transferred from Pittsburgh, but the attempt was soon abandoned as impractical.  During the 1850's the land was sold to the Diocese of Cleveland.  The bishop of Cleveland sent the Sisters of Charity to open an orphanage.  This order was later replaced by the Sisters of the Humility of Mary.  St. James remained open and was still visited by priests from the Diocese of Pittsburgh until 1862.  After that, St. James became the responsibility of the Diocese of Cleveland.

As New Castle and Youngstown began growing, people began drifting away from the New Bedford area.  The individuals who remained began attending services in the orphanage chapel.  St. James church was abandoned in 1873 and eventually was converted to classrooms.  At some point, the building was torn down.

For decades, there was no church in New Bedford.  Only the chapel at Villa Maria served the local community.  Villa Maria, although located in Pennsylvania, continued to be part of the Diocese of Cleveland.

In 1949, Villa Maria was transferred back to the Diocese of Pittsburgh.  On April 6, 1949, the parish of St. James was revived and a resident pastor assigned.  At first Mass was celebrated in the Villa Maria chapel.  On April 27, 1953, ground was broken for a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on June 18, 1953, and the completed church was dedicated on November 24, 1953. 

By the 1980's, the congregation had outgrown the original building.  An new addition to the existing building was constructed to serve as the church in 1987.  The original church was then converted to a social hall.  This church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. James Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. James the Apostle Parish Map.pdf155.86 KB