Saint James, West Alexander

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A





Additional Information:

Open Date:

1821

Close Date:

1875

This parish is presently located at:

Neighborhoods Served:

West Alexander

Parish History

St. James was founded in 1821.  St. James was founded in response to the influx of workers to build the National Pike.  A small log church was built to serve the small Catholic congregation.  Until 1837, the church was visited periodically from Wheeling.  Beginning in 1837, St. James became a mission of St. Peter in Brownsville.  In the late 1840's, the log church was replaced by a brick structure.

By 1873, the church had deteriorated to the point that it was becoming unsafe to use.  Because the bulk of the congregation now lived in Claysville, it was decided to close St. James and to build a new church in Claysville.  Work on the new church began in 1873 and the completed church was dedicated as Sacred Heart on September 25, 1875.  The old St. James church was torn down, although the pews were kept for use in the new church.

 

File Attachments: