Saint John the Baptist, Baden
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:30 a.m.
Weekdays: W/F 8:00 a.m.
Holy Days: As scheduled
See Good Samaritan, Ambridge
Church Building:377 Linmore Ave
Baden, PA 15005
Administrative Center:375 Linmore Ave, PO Box 171
Baden , PA 15005
St. John the Baptist was established in 1866. In that year the first Mass was celebrated in Baden in a private home. In 1868, land was purchased in Economy Township and work began on a small frame church. The church was completed the next year. For the rest of the century the parish was mainly a mission of St. James, Sewickley, although at times it apparently was served from St. Cecilia in Rochester or Ss. Peter and Paul in Beaver. In 1909, a pastor was assigned to the parish. The pastor was also given the position of Chaplain to the Sisters of St. Joseph in Baden. The pastor established his residence at the Sisters' Motherhouse.
Due to the inconvenient location of the church, many members began attending other local churches. To save the dwindling congregation, the church was abandoned and Mass was shifted to the chapel in the Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse. This arrangement, meant to last for 10 years, actually continued until 1950. On February 27, 1948, the bishop proposed the building of a new St. John the Baptist Church. Property was purchased in Baden for the church and on December 5, 1948, ground was broken for the new church. The cornerstone was laid on May 22, 1949, and the completed building was dedicated on February 12, 1950.
The church was renovated between the years 1973 to 1975. Additional changes were made in 1983 and 1990.