Saint John the Baptist, Unity

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

5:00 pm (Apr. - Oct.)

4:00 pm (Nov. - Mar.)

Sunday

7:30 am

9:00 am

11:00 am

Weekdays

M-F

9:00 am

Sat. 9:00 am

Holy Days

HV 4:00 pm

H 7:00 am

9:00 am

7:00 pm

Confessions:

Saturday

9:30 am

11:30 am

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

444 Saint John St
Pittsburgh, PA 15239
Phone: 412-793-4511/412-793-4580
Fax: 412-793-4311

School: Saint John the Baptist:

418 Unity Center Rd
Pittsburgh , PA 15239
Phone: 412-793-0555
Fax: 412-793-4001

Religious Education: Saint John Baptist School:

444 Saint John St
Pittsburgh, PA 15239
Phone: 412-795-6376


Clergy:

Rev. Thomas J. Galvin, Pastor
Deacon Joseph R. Vannucci
Deacon Timothy F. Noca, Permanent Deacon

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

24801

Open Date:

1911

Neighborhoods Served:

Unity
Plum

Parish History

St. John the Baptist was established in 1911 as a mission of the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD).  The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. The first known Mass celebrated in Unity took place on May 12, 1911.  At first, Mass was celebrated in Unity Hall, a public school building.  By the end of 1911, the parish rented a private home for use for Sunday Mass.

In 1915, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor on October 25.  The parish continued to use the rented property for Mass while funds were raised for a new church.  Construction of the church began in 1917 and the completed structure was dedicated on July 14, 1918.

As time went on, the congregation continued to grow.  By the 1960's, plans were drawn up for a new church.  Ground for the church was broken on March 26, 1963.  The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on November 24, 1963, and the church was formally dedicated on January 5, 1964.  The old church was converted to a parish hall, but was eventually torn down.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. John Church, 1933
Interior of St. John Church, 1933
St. John Church, 2002
Interior of St. John, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. John the Baptist Parish Map, Unity.pdf139.15 KB