Saint John Capistran
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00, 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: M-F 9:00 a.m.
Saturday: 4:15-4:45 p.m.
St. John Capistran was established on December 30, 1968. However, the origin of the parish can be traced back to 1914, when the area was called Beadling. In that year the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD) visited the community to determine the number of Catholics in the area. The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. Based on this visit, the MCCD established a mission on May 16, 1915. At first, the MCCD only conducted catechism classes in commercial buildings. By 1923, the MCCD determined that there was a need for a chapel in the area. Work on the chapel was completed that year and the building was dedicated on December 23, 1923. The chapel was then made a mission of St. Agatha in Bridgeville. From 1923 until 1938, Mass was celebrated once a month. Beginning in 1938, Mass was celebrated weekly.
St. John Capistran remained a mission of St. Agatha until 1947. In that year it became a mission of the new parish of Our Lady of Grace. In 1953 the parish purchased the McMillan public school and remodeled it into a church. The new church was dedicated on February 22, 1953. The old church was converted to classrooms and later renovated into a CCD center. Eventually the original church building was torn down.
On December 30, 1968, St. John Capistran became an independent parish. On February 6, 1972, ground was broken for a new church. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1972. The church was officially dedicated on February 4, 1973.