Saint John the Evangelist, South Side
This parish is presently located at:
St. John the Evangelist was founded in 1853 to serve the English speaking Catholics living in Birmingham, now the South Side of Pittsburgh. The only church building of the parish was dedicated on May 7, 1854. This church was enlarged and rededicated on April 2, 1865. It was enlarged again in 1872. Additional undocumented modifications were made to the building over the years. Population losses in Pittsburgh in the 1970's and 1980's led to the merger of all the South Side parishes into the new Prince of Peace parish in 1992. After the merger, St. John church was no longer used for worship.