Saint Josaphat, South Side
This parish is presently located at:
St. Josaphat was founded as a Polish parish in 1902. The founding of the church was the result of a petition of a committee of Polish families in the Mission St. section of the South Side for a separate parish. The first church was a frame church built on Mission St. in 1902. Shortly afterwards, a larger, more permanent church was built. Services started in the new church's basement in 1909 before the building was completed. The church was not completed and dedicated until November 30, 1916.
The population loss in Pittsburgh in the 1970's and 1980's led to the consolidation of all the South Side parishes in 1992. Although St. Josaphat parish was closed, the church itself remained open and serves as a worship site for the new Prince of Peace parish.