Saint Joseph, Aliquippa
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph was founded in 1894. Beginning in 1891, the pastor of St. John, Monaca, visited West Aliquippa (then known as Aliquippa) once a month to celebrate Mass. In 1892, a committee of local Catholics purchased land for a church. Construction of the church began soon afterwards. In October 1894, the new church was dedicated under the patronage of St. Joseph.
For a number of years, the parish was a mission of St. John's. As industry in the area expanded, the Catholic population continued to grow. By 1909, it had grown to the point that the parish could support a resident pastor. In January 1909, the first resident pastor of St. Joseph was appointed.
In June of 1915, ground was broken for a four room school. In 1926, an addition was built to the school consisting of a first floor auditorium and a four classrooms on the second floor.
By 1935, the church could no longer accommodate the growing congregation. The auditorium of the school was renovated by volunteer members of the parish for a church. In the fall of 1935, the new church was ready for services. In 1937, the old church was renovated and repaired and converted into a lyceum hall.
The new church continued to serve the congregation for the next 60 years. It was renovated in 1952, 1958, 1980 and in the late 1980's. In addition, the old church continued to serve the congregation as a lyceum hall.
Just as the growth of industry and population in the area at the beginning of the century led to the creation of the parish, the decline of industry and population near the end of the century led to its suppression. In 1994, St. Joseph was merged with St. Titus, Aliquippa. The new parish retained the name of St. Titus. St. Joseph church remains open and serves the new parish.