Saint Joseph, Cabot
HV 7:00 pm
H 9:00 am
8:30 am - 8:55 am
11:00 am - 12:00 noon
St. Joseph was founded in 1904. Before the parish was established, local Catholics traveled to St. John, Coylesville or St. Mary, Herman. The founding of the parish was a direct result of the work of Fr. Nicholas Deinlein, a Capuchin Franciscan from St. Mary Monastery in Herman, who convinced the local Catholics of the need for a new parish. In May 1904, land was purchased for a church and construction began soon after. The first Mass in the area was held in a private home on September 18, 1904 and the first Mass in the new church was celebrated on December 18, 1904. The church itself was dedicated on May 31, 1905. At that time, the church was a mission of St. Mary in Herman.
Even after the church was dedicated, improvements were needed. Permanent pews, a church bell and statues were added as funds became available. In the 1920's a sanctuary was built, a vestibule added and electricity was installed. In 1930 a basement was added. In the 1960's the church was extended and a new bell tower and vestibule were added.
On December 23, 1975, St. John became an independent parish. By that time, it was obvious that the current church was no longer adequate to meet the needs of the congregation. On May 15, 1977, ground was broken for a new church. The completed church was dedicated on August 27, 1978. This church continues to serve the local community today.